Holiday Eating: How to Stay Healthy in Three Steps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

The holidays are synonymous with overeating. All the baked goodies, Christmas-packaged candies, and festive home-cooked meals can be detrimental to your present weight. Weight management is one of the easiest ways to keep your body healthy and functioning properly. Luckily, there are ways to enjoy the calories of the season, keep your shape, and prevent you from looking like your preparing for hibernation!

1. Consume Cautiously

I don’t know how your family does the holidays, but it’s a tradition in my house to have a designated table for all the Christmas goodies. Homemade sugar cookies, peanut butter balls, fudge, chocolate dipped pretzels…the list goes on. While the treat table is a one-stop-shop for satisfying your sweet tooth, it can also be the place where your spring break body goes to die. It can be tempting to grab something delicious every time you pass by, but be sure to monitor your trips to the snack section. The sweets may be small but don’t forget how many calories you’re actually consuming!

2. Get off the Couch

I’ve already decided that the first few days of break will be spent glued to the couch with my Netflix queue, but I know that at some point I’ll have to engage in some physical activity. Of course working out may not be apart of your holiday plan, but loafing around until it’s time to head back to Auburn isn’t going to do your body (or your health) any favors. Offer to help your mom finish Christmas shopping or ask your brother if he wants to throw the football around in the snow. If you live in a place where the weather is decent in the winter, ask your grandparents or other relatives to go for a walk while they’re visiting. It’ll get you out of the cramped house, and gives you the opportunity to grow closer to your family.

3. Skip the Multiple Servings

The delicious holiday spread is one of my favorite things about Christmas, but taking massive helpings during the meal isn’t a bright idea. It can be easy to forget that signs that you’re full when the deliciously moist turkey and sweet potato casserole are staring you in the face. But you need to remember to keep your brain tuned to your stomach! The more you eat at the meal, the more sluggish and tired you’ll feel later. It’s totally acceptable to store up on the healthier items, like green beans and salads with minimal dressings, and it’s okay to have a little extra ham and mashed potatoes after you’ve finished your first helping.You don’t need to stuff your face to enjoy the meal! Plus helping yourself to fewer servings means you’ll have more leftovers to eat the next day.

It’s not easy to keep to healthy eating habits during the holidays but it’s not a chore if you follow these simple steps. The more food-conscious you stay during the break, the less work you have to do in preparation for spring break bikini season!!

Rep ImageImage 1Image 2Image 3Image 4Image 5