He’s Just THAT Into You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Ever wondered how to tell if a guy is into you? As we all know, boys are mysterious creatures.  If they think girls are confusing, they’ve got it all wrong—they’re the confusing ones! They sit by you in class, ask you for your notes, say hey when they run into you at the bar, drunkenly text you to come over, yet when we ask them to hang out they decline. Like WHAT?!  Fortunately for us, there is a secret way to tell if a guy is really interested or not.  It’s called nonverbal communication. 

Eyes:  Your eyes are the mirror of your soul.  They are one of the hardest body parts to control.  Studies have shown that when you are interested in someone and/or find them attractive, your pupils will dilate (become larger). They constrict when interest decreases. So ladies, next time you’re talking to a guy you might be interested in make sure to check out his pupils. 

Body: Pay attention to the way a guy is standing or sitting.  Is he facing inward toward you or away from you?  Are his arms crossed or relaxed by his sides?  Most boys will lean towards you and look relaxed when they are interested in you.  If they are leaning away or standing perpendicular to you, that is a sign that they are not fully engaged in the conversation.  The closer you are standing, the more interested you are in each other.  Everyone has their own personal bubble of space, but if you are attracted to someone, you will bend the rules for them and let them stand closer than an average person.  

Touch: This category may come off a little creepy, but touch is an important factor in nonverbal communication.  Your skin has millions of sensory receptors, all waiting to react to a touch.  Touching and proximity both show a desire for intimacy.  It is unlikely that a guy will touch your arm during a conversation like a girl would.  However, they might reach for your hand when guiding you through a crowd, or even nudge you as they walk by. 

Communication: This isn’t exactly non verbal communication, but the amount of communication between you and a boy is important to finding out if he is interested in you. I hate to say it, but if a guy is truly interested in you, he will talk to you.  Unless he is super shy and awkward, has a girlfriend, or you just look extremely unapproachable. It is easy to think “well, he was busy,” or “it was really crowded at the bar tonight, so I understand if he didn’t want to walk through the crowd.”  No, it’s not likely any of those reason. You want to talk to your friends because you enjoy them and their company; the same goes for boys. If they enjoy your company (or want to enjoy your company) they will come speak to you.  

So girls, next time your are unsure of the signals a guy is sending, or if he is sending any at all, be sure to pick up on his nonverbal cues. These are the keys to the beginning of understanding what goes on inside the minds of those creatures we call men. So get out there and stop wondering if that guy in your lab is crushing on you!

Image 1
Image 2

Writer for the Auburn branch of Her Campus. Junior studying communication.