Have Leftover Chocolate from Valentine’s Day?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Instead of throwing away all of that leftover Valentine’s chocolate, why not turn it into something else? Plain ole chocolate can get boring and old at times, and let’s face it, Spring Break is approaching and we are all want to look good, so get in the recycling spirit and recycle some of that chocolate. For one thing, chocolate can be frozen and maintain it’s flavor for long periods of time, so one option is to throw a few morsels into the freezer to save for later. If you’re feeling in the baking mood, however, here’s a few recipes that you can make using the stuff that you’d much rather just get rid of now.

This recipe calls for 2 ounces of dark chocolate, but surprisingly is a Mexican cuisine. Normally served with chicken or tortillas, it is a quick fix to spice up any dish and is a great way to use any leftover dark chocolate you may have.

Easy Mole Sauce

Ingredients:
4½ cups chicken broth
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onions
3 Tbsp. chopped garlic
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. ground cumin
¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
2 ½ Tbsp. chili powder
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
2 oz. dark chocolate, chopped

Directions:
1.      Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
2.      Reduce heat to low and add garlic, onion, oregano, cumin and cinnamon.
3.      Cover and cook until onion is almost tender, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes.
4.      Mix in chili powder and flour, stir for three minutes.
5.      Gradually whisk in chicken broth. Increase heat to medium-high and boil until reduced (usually about 35 minutes) stirring occasionally.
6.      Remove from heat.
7.      Whisk in chocolate, season with salt and pepper. Serve warm over chicken, tortillas or any dish you like.

Of course, you can’t have leftover chocolate bars without making these delicious candy bar brownies. These brownies are much more inventive than chocolate bars and are even great to share with friends! Instead of have a staring contest with those candy bars, why not bake them into a delectable treat you and your friends will love!

Candy Bar Brownies

Ingredients:
2 sticks unsalted butter?
8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips or chopped semi-sweet chocolate?
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped?
1 Tbsp instant espresso powder?
3 large eggs?
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract?
1 (generous) cup granulated sugar?
½  (generous) cup all-purpose flour?
1 ½  tsp baking powder?
½  tsp salt?4 6-oz. candy bars of your choice, divided (reserve one, sliced crosswise, for the top)

Directions:
1.      Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour 9 x 13 inch pan. Grease pan well, or line with aluminum foil or parchment paper to help you remove them once cooled. Make sure you grease the foil/paper too
2.      In medium, heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, heat butter and chocolates until melted and smooth; cool slightly.
3.      In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, espresso powder, vanilla and sugar. Stir the cooled chocolate mixture slowly into the egg mixture until completely incorporated. Cool to room temperature.
4.      In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt; add to batter. Chop up 3 of the candy bars into bite-size pieces, and stir them into the chocolate mixture. Pour batter into prepared baking pan and smooth top with a rubber spatula. Place slices of the last candy bar onto the top of the batter.
5.      Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (or with a few crumbs attached); do not over-bake. They will be fudgy, but make sure you don’t think this means they aren’t cooked through. Let cool completely, then cover tightly and chill overnight. Chilled brownies are easier to cut.

Another easy dessert that you could use your chocolate for is fondue. Instead of just eating the chocolate candy, you can dip healthy fruits such as bananas and strawberries in fondue. Something fun about fondue is that it is a great party food. Something about fondue makes people excited. Here’s a simple fondue recipe to make that regular chocolate fondue have a little kick.

Flaming Turtle Chocolate Fondue Recipe

Ingredients:
?1/4 cup milk?
1/2 cup milk chocolate
1/4 cup caramel syrup?
2 Tbsp pecans, chopped?

Directions:
1.      Soften milk chocolate in the microwave. Once it is hot, add softened chocolate. Stir until you have a smooth consistency.
2.      Pour caramel into a pool in the middle of the chocolate. Add the chopped pecans to the chocolate.
3.      Serve with bananas, strawberries, marshmallows, cheesecake, brownies, etc.

Summer is a currently a senior student at Auburn University. As a journalism major she actively enjoys writing and is the co-founder and current Editor-in-Chief of the Her Campus branch at Auburn, as well as a writer for the Greek newspaper The Odyssey. In addition, Summer is an active member of Kappa Alpha Theta, PRSSA and the Society of Professional Journalists. Summer loves fashion and enjoys blogging about her personal style.