Happy Fall, Y’all! 9 Things To Do This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Ever since I was a little kid, fall has been my favorite season. Everything about it makes me happy—the changing leaves, the cozy sweaters, and of course the always delicious pumpkin spice latte. Sadly, we still have to go to those things called classes, and it can be easy to lose yourself in homework, tests and due dates. This is the best season of the year, so here are some things you can do to make sure you don’t miss it:

1. Carve a pumpkin.

Okay, I may have jumped the gun on this one. I tried to wait until October, but the giant pumpkin display in the grocery store was too much for me to resist. You’re never too mature to spend hours elbow deep in a gourd you’re about to carve a face on.

My attempt at a Jack Skellington pumpkin.

2. Go to at least one football game.

Even if football isn’t really your thing, you must do this! At the risk of sounding cheesy, an Auburn football game really is a one-of-a-kind experience that everyone should have (preferably more than once).

3. Read a book outside.

Fall is the perfect time to cuddle up outside with a blanket and a good book. Embrace your inner hipster and break out that ENO (that thing you thought you’d get oh-so-much use out of, but still has yet to be opened) and read to your heart’s content.

4. Order a pumpkin flavored…anything.

It may not be the healthiest thing in the world, but the Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte is an autumn staple. If you don’t want to spend a whopping $6.00 on a cup of coffee, the Coffee-Mate knockoff isn’t bad either. Don’t just stop at lattes, though. They can pumpkin-ify anything nowadays, from pancakes to…Pringles?

5. Spend time with your family

As wonderful and beautiful and perfect as Auburn is, the college life can get a little redundant and lonely at times. So next time Auburn plays away, go home for a couple of days. If you live too far away for a weekend visit, there’s always FaceTime or a good old-fashioned phone call.

6. Watch your favorite Halloween movie

Personally, nothing puts me in a fall-ish mood like Hocus Pocus. Or Beetlejuice. Or The Nightmare Before Christmas (I watch a lot of TV)! Luckily, during the month of October you can pretty much turn on any channel and find a movie related to Halloween. The ABC Family staple “Thirteen Nights of Halloween” starts on October 19th! 

7. Get crafty

Remember all that DIY stuff you pinned last year but never got around to actually making? Now is the perfect time to finally try your hand at craftiness! Make use of the hours you’re not spending at the pool anymore. 

8. Update your style!

No matter what anyone tells you, it is perfectly acceptable to break out the leggings and riding boots as soon as the temperature drops below 80 degrees. You don’t have to spend a lot of money to get the perfect cool weather look. Pair last season’s boots with cozy knee-high socks from Target, or complement your existing fall wardrobe with dark lips or nails.

9. Be Lazy

Sometimes after a long day of work or classes you just want to crawl in bed and watch Netflix until you can’t tell your real life from Blair Waldorf’s, and that’s okay. You don’t have to be “going” all the time to be successful. Don’t feel guilty about enjoying your down time! Plus, you’re going to have to squeeze in all the relaxation you can before exam time.

Rep Image

Image 1 courtesy of Corey Williams

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Image 5

Image 6

Image 7

Image 8

Image 9