“Gray” is the New Orange & Blue

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

344 days, 21 hour, 26 minutes, 4 seconds and counting until:

January 10, 2018: The day when Gray becomes the newest addition to Auburn’s current color palette of orange and blue.

Transferring to Auburn University next January, it is with the enthusiasm of Aubie on gameday that I introduce you to my friend who shares with me both a hometown and a love for Auburn:

Gray, The Ultimate Auburn Fan.

Let’s take it from the beginning.

K: Where did your love for Auburn begin?

G: At birth. Straight out of the womb, I was born into Auburn. I have family that lives there, my sister just graduated from Auburn, and my dad earned a degree and lived there for twenty-eight years.  

K: What is it about this Auburn inspired room of yours?

G:  In our home, it’s become “The Auburn Room.” I want it to look like a museum. From collectibles like the football that I have on a shelf that was signed by Shug Jordan, the guy who Jordan Hare Stadium was named after, to a coke can that I picked up at the 2010 National Championship …  look, it was sad—that thing was expensive! It’s all dedicated to Auburn, and it’s a privilege to sleep there, really. You gotta take your shoes off before entering. Okay, not really, but it’s highly encouraged.

Background Knowledge: In the time that I’ve known him, I’ve never seen Gray sporting anything other than Auburn attire. When I asked him about his wardrobe, I guess it shouldn’t have surprised me when he sent me this picture of the inside of his closet!

K: Whoah, this looks like the inside of the Haley Bookstore and J&M combined.

G: Well, first, since Auburn is sponsored by Under Armour, I’ve gotten rid of everything that is off-brand. It’s like my inner child has come out… I want to be just like the athletes and wear only Under Armour! [Laughs].

G: Also, everything is ordered by color.

K: Gray, there’s only two colors in there!

G: Yeah, but I want to have enough in every color. I have enough orange. And hey, there’s gray in there, too. Speaking of, contrary to popular belief, navy is actually my first favorite color. Gray is my second favorite!

K: How are you going to react that first day you’re walking on campus as an Auburn student?

G: [Smiling] Oh, gosh, I won’t be able to contain myself. I’ll probably have a heart attack!

K: How is Auburn’s family dynamic different from other SEC schools?

G: In Auburn, people love Auburn for Auburn. That’s something special. We love sports—all sports, not just football. We take pride in the academics here. We love the community. Everyone who goes to school here never wants to leave. It really says something when you can walk up to a random guy on the street with an Auburn hat on and exchange a “War Eagle!” We really are a family. Back in 2014 when we lost the football national championship, I remember walking down the street, and cheering along with others, “It’s Great to be an Auburn Tiger…” and we meant it.

K: How would you sum up “Auburn?”

G: I’m trying not to sound biased even though I am biased. How many people are going to be reading this?

K: You love Auburn. It’s okay to be a little biased.

G: Well, Auburn is the prettiest place in the world if you ask me. If you care about where you’re going to college, you’re going to choose Auburn. See, when you go to college, you want to feel like you’re home. You want a support system. Whether you’re coming to Auburn from a bigger city, or you’ve grown up in Alabama your whole life, Auburn is that open door you’ve been looking for… It’s home.

War Eagle.

Karah is from Florence, Alabama, and is currently a freshman at the "Loveliest Village on the Plains" aka Auburn University studying Broadcast Journalism. Her dream career includes interning and later working for NBC network as a journalist. You might spot her at an Auburn football, baseball, or softball game cheering at the top of her lungs. A mediocre crossfitter, hard-core shopper, and chocolate chip cookie critic, she lives by the motto, "War Eagle to everything!"