nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Finding Your Way Is Not As Hard As It Seems

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

College…the time to find ourselves, discover our calling and explore our passions.

Let me tell you right off the bat that you can NOT get through this time without Him, the almighty God.

“Break My Heart for What Breaks Yours.” A phrase, or a line of lyrics, we usually hear within the walls of each of our churches.

For anyone that has ever experienced a broken heart, the pain is so great, vast and usually unbearable. So how could we, as individuals. ever possibly ask for a broken heart? For a pain like that? It just really doesn’t make any sense, does it?

Yet, what is meant by this statement is asking Jesus for a revelation of what breaks his heart – as in the Jesus who already bore all of our brokenness on the cross, like nbd right?

The purpose and beauty of asking for a breaking like this is…He’s also the healer.

But what breaks God’s heart? And, are we ever really ready to have our hearts broken in the same ways and for the same things as God?

God’s heart breaks for each and every one of us, His children. It breaks for those who have loved Him their whole lives and those who have yet to accept Him into their hearts. It breaks for all the tragedies in our world, the oppression and the injustice. It breaks for the grief, guilt, sadness, anger, sickness that every single one of us feel or will feel at some point within our journey on this planet.

If you think about that truly, you will come to realize that His heart breaks from the ways WE, His own creations, break it. And as intense and heavy as that seems, we can find comfort in knowing we will also see the glory of God through this because His hand moves for what His hearts breaks for.

We will see how He engages in each of our lives and the ones around us. He engages in where the darkness lies and He shines the light. He enters into all the broken homes, broken families, broken marriages, broken brothers, broken sisters and He guides them to peace, comfort and understanding.

As college students, we are all walking around with our own unique burdens, but we all have one commonality in looking for an answer to this question–what the heck do I want to do with my life? And as some of us may already know the answer, those of us who do not now have a way of obtaining that answer. Break your heart, for what breaks His.

You may be wondering now how the frick frack you even do this…it is so simple.

First, become sensitive to your own sins. Realize what bothers you, because sin desensitizes what feels wrong to God…did that party you went to last weekend (or the things you saw there) make you feel any bit of regret? Probably not, because as teenagers in college we go or do something once and as we continue to get in the habit of those things it begins to feel totally normal.

Second, open your availability to yourself. Free up your time to take a step back and do a full self evaluation. Are you happy with what you are thinking, feeling, or even seeing within yourself? If the answer is no to any of those, GIVE IT UP TO GOD.

That is it. That is your two-step plan of action to finding God’s purpose for you.

I hope after you have read this that you will have a glimmer of desire to break your heart for His. Find comfort in knowing that your soul will rest in His embrace when we fall to our knees in the presence of Him. Find peace in His redemptive nature taking even the most painful of circumstances and still finding a way to reassemble every last broken piece and achieving His purposes through that.

Lily Haire

Auburn '21

Lily is a junior seeking a Marketing degree here at Auburn University. This is her third year with Her Campus and she LOVES it!  When she isn't studying hard and working on Her Campus, she enjoys jamming to music in the car, working as a staff member for the Glomerata, reading all things F. Scott Fitzgerald, eating peanut butter straight outta the jar, and watching Netflix. Some of her favorite things include sunsets, beaches, good food, and cuddling with her goldendoodle and german shepherd pups.