The Dos and Don’ts of Chopping Your Locks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Some of the biggest headlines in Hollywood are due to starlets parting with their iconic locks and opting for shorter cuts (thanks to their team of expert stylists). What generally ensues is a media circus of everyone and their mother tweeting out their uncensored praise and criticisms. But what about us regular gals who want to take the pixie cut from the red carpet to the quad? Well, I’m going to be completely honest with all of you. It’s scary. When I took the plunge and cut my hair back in January, it was one of the most nerve-wracking experiences of my life (and I’ve done Disney’s “Wild Africa Trek”). So to shed a little light on the situation, I’ve compiled some of the advice that I received (or wish I had) before venturing into the salon. Good luck!

Do Your Research Beforehand:

As wonderfully diverse human beings we all have unique characteristics that make us who we are, so it’s common knowledge that one size doesn’t fit all, right? The same applies to haircuts. Sites like YouBeauty have quizzes to help you determine your face shape that will not only direct you to your perfect cut , but will also supply you with celebrities who share the same qualities. Even though some stylists will argue that short hair only works for certain face shapes, I refuse to believe it. There is a pixie cut for everyone and as long as you love it, go for it.

Don’t Act on Impulse:

Hollywood movie impromptu makeovers may seem like a great idea, but only if you’ve just found out that that you’re the princess of Genovia. It’s best to follow the “sleep on it” rule: wait 24 hours (or even longer) before any major chops. Try to avoid pulling a Hannah Horvath if you can.

Do Bring a Picture:

There’s a world of difference between Carey Mulligan and Miley Cyrus, but they’re both lumped into the same short hair category. The spectrum of short styles is vast and you need to be prepared to navigate it once you’ve arrived at your appointment. Though in many cases, words just won’t suffice. Saying that you want your hair to look “classic” or “edgy” doesn’t hold any weight in the salon chair, not to mention the fact that your stylist isn’t a mind reader. Bring a photo along and try to use multi-angled shots of celebrities at events so you can point out exactly what you’re looking for.

Don’t Stay Silent:

If at some point during your haircut you start looking more Suri Cruise circa 2008 than Agyness Deyn, you need to say something. This is always problematic for me because I never want to question someone’s expertise, but at the end of the day, you’ll be the one who’s walking out of the salon with Kate Gosselin’s reverse mullet.

Do Change Your Styling Routine:

This one I had to find out the hard way. For many ladies a short ‘do is a “wash and go” style, but sadly I cannot say the same. Do not assume that your styling time will take mere seconds because you have less hair. If your hair’s natural texture has wave to it, be ready to head into battle each morning. After coming to terms with my curly locks, I invested in the Short Sexy Hair product line and the John Frieda Hot Air Brush to tame flyaways and pesky cowlicks. Both are miracle workers and much-needed time savers.

Don’t Be Too Hard on Yourself:

It’ll be the first shower you take after your haircut. The steam and Herbal Essences will seem familiar until you reach back to lather up. That’s when it’ll hit you. The realization that you’ve left a major piece of yourself on the salon floor. You’ll no doubt grasp frantically at the back of your scalp, slump down to the tile floor, and eventually assume the fetal position. DON’T PANIC. You’re still the same stellar person, just with shorter hair. It’ll definitely some take time to adjust to, but if you really hate it just remember: hair grows back.

And finally, Do Show Off  Your New Style:

Invest in some killer hair accessories and own it.

Image Sources:

Rep Image

Collage Image1

Collage Image2

Collage Image3