This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Dear Single Girls,

If you’re like me, often time, you can’t decide whether you like or dislike being single. There are two broadly different spectrums presented…

You’ve got the “Feminist Angle,”           

• Media → You Don’t Need A Man!  
  • Single = Unlimited Freedom
  • Boss Lady in the Making  

and then there’s “Relationship Goals,”    

• an official wing-man
  • aww-worthy dates
  • affection and companionship               

….and then, somewhere in-between, there’s me.

When some days I wake up and find myself jamming to girl power anthems (cue Beyonce) Who Run The World? GIRLS!!, truly embracing the noted single lady “freedom” and self-empowerment in knowing that I’m devoting all of my energy towards my career-driven goals. Other days I find myself wishing that I had a boyfriend/wing-man/companion as I scroll through Instagram and come across aww-worthy #couplegoals date pics, only to pull on a three-quarter length sweater and be reminded that cuddle season is right around the corner… and my A1 since Day 1 cuddle partner (aka my poodle) is unfortunately back home.

That said, my time spent in the middle of the spectrum has shown me a thing or two about single status, and what to do when hit with the boyfriend bug.

1. Being single is the perfect time to define Y-O-U.

• When in a relationship you’re dedicating time both to yourself and your significant other; when single, you can focus 100% on yourself. So, instead of viewing single status as a curse, spend your time as a single lady establishing who you are and connecting with your passions and dreams so that you’ll be able to put forth the best “you” when boyfriend potential presents itself.

2.  Enjoy this part of the story.

• You might meet him at a baseball game, or maybe through mutual friends. You could even be in the middle of Walmart, and snap! just like that, love at first sight on the produce aisle. No matter your age, it is nonetheless exciting to dream up the moment of “how we met” and envision what he’ll be like. Enjoy this part of the story where you’re in the midst of a page-turner—with each day holding the possibility that anything could happen.

3. Finally, remember to stay in contact with “single you” when landing  relationship status. Don’t lose yourself with someone else. Where balance is key, a guy should compliment and embellish the fabulous girl you already are.

Love,

A Fellow Single Girl

Karah is from Florence, Alabama, and is currently a freshman at the "Loveliest Village on the Plains" aka Auburn University studying Broadcast Journalism. Her dream career includes interning and later working for NBC network as a journalist. You might spot her at an Auburn football, baseball, or softball game cheering at the top of her lungs. A mediocre crossfitter, hard-core shopper, and chocolate chip cookie critic, she lives by the motto, "War Eagle to everything!"