Dance ‘Till You Drop with Casey Stein!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Who doesn’t love dancing? How about non-stop for twelve whole hours? Casey Stein, director of Auburn University Dance Marathon tells HC what being a part of this organization means to her and why this truly is a cause worth dancing for.

HC Auburn: Where are you from?
Casey: I’m from Carmel, Indiana

HC Auburn: What is your major?
Casey: I’m majoring in (sorry its long) Human Development and Family Studies with a concentration in Public Policy and Legislation, Minoring in Nonprofit and Philanthropy studies.

HC Auburn: What is the purpose of AUDM?
Casey: AUDM is a year-round fundraising event that encourages individuals to raise money for an amazing local cause, Columbus Regional Medical center, and brings them together with the families from the hospital to celebrate their hard work at the 12 hour event.

HC Auburn: How much money did AUDM raise this year? Are there other colleges that are involved with this?
Casey: This year we raised $65,995.25. There are over 170 Dance Marathons across the country. At the city, college, and high school level, Dance Marathons are the largest fundraiser for Children’s Miracle Network. All the money raised will stay in that school or city’s area to support their respective CMN Hospital.

HC Auburn: What has being in charge of AUDM meant to you?
Casey: Being able to lead this year’s national record-breaking dance marathon has been an honor. I grew up a “Miracle Child” and spent most of my childhood in and out of the CMN hospital near my home in Indiana. I originally wanted to get involved to give back to a cause that gave so much to me, and came out with so much more. I’ve grown leaps and bounds as a leader, made incredible friends with people with a heart for philanthropy, and finally found my desired career path. 

HC Auburn: How can students get involved with it?
Casey: The easiest way to get involved with Dance Marathon is to register early in the fall. We also have staff applications for next year’s committees and directors coming out after spring break at the end of March. All this information can be found on out website at audancemarathon.com

The Overall Director, Casey Stein, one of the AUDM’s “Miracle Children”, Trace, and Aubie wait back stage before the final reveal.

The Director, Casey Stein, cuts a hospital bracelet from the Vice President of Youth Marketing from Children’s Miracle Network. The hospital bracelet signaled the national record being broken for the highest fundraising first year dance marathon.

At the end of the night, the final fundraising total was revealed for the staff and the participants to see for the first time. The final total was $65,995.25

Aubie crowd surfed from the stage with the help of the participants at AUDM.

The Overall Director, Casey Stein, with Miss Auburn University, Emily Jordan.

The Overall Director, Casey Stein, on the main floor of the ballroom at AUDM.

I'm a Sophomore at Auburn University majoring in Apparel Merchandising
Summer is a currently a senior student at Auburn University. As a journalism major she actively enjoys writing and is the co-founder and current Editor-in-Chief of the Her Campus branch at Auburn, as well as a writer for the Greek newspaper The Odyssey. In addition, Summer is an active member of Kappa Alpha Theta, PRSSA and the Society of Professional Journalists. Summer loves fashion and enjoys blogging about her personal style.