The Crunch: Candy-Filled Pumpkin Cupcakes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

If you haven’t finished your Halloween candy yet, repurpose leftovers to elevate a batch of pumpkin cupcakes.

Customize this recipe by choosing the filling; Snickers, Reese’s, Baby Ruth or Heath Bars compliment the pumpkin-flavored cupcakes. As for the icing, if Milky Way Midnight bars are not amidst your Halloween leftovers, any chocolate nougat-filled candy will do.

The ingredients total just under $10—and less depending on how many extra chocolate bars you have in the pantry. 

Candy-Filled Pumpkin Cupcakes

Yields 12 cupcakes

For the cupcakes:

Pumpkin cake mix

2 eggs

1 cup water

cup vegetable oil

Assorted chocolate candy

¼ cup assorted chocolate candy, crushed

For the icing:

4 Milky Way Midnight bars, coarsely chopped

1 Tbsp milk

2 Tbsp butter

1 cup powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners. Prepare pumpkin cake mix according to package. Divide batter evenly into muffin tin, filling cups about ⅔ full. Drop one piece of chocolate candy into each cup, and use a spoon to spread the batter over the chocolate. Bake for 25 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare the icing. Combine the Milky Way bars, milk and butter in a microwaveable bowl. Microwave on medium power for 30 seconds, stir, and continue to microwave until ingredients are combined. Sift powdered sugar into melted chocolate mixture, and stir until smooth.

Allow the cupcakes to cool before icing each cupcake. Top with chopped chocolate.