Crank Up the Country Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Did you wake up the day after the Alpha Psi Rodeo and wish you could do it all over again? Maybe you went to Dothan to the Toadlick Music Festival and wish you could rewind and see your favorite country acts like Luke Bryan and Jake Owen one more time. Rodeo and Toadlick may be over, but the country music doesn’t have to stop.

The 48th Annual Academy of Country Music Awards aired last week and highlighted the biggest names in country music. 15.4 million viewers tuned in to see who would take home the gold in categories like Entertainer of the Year and Album of the Year. This year’s viewing audience was also the largest for the award show in 15 years. The popularity and enthusiasm shown for the awards prove that country music is going strong. These hits are probably the reason why.

Downtown – Lady Antebellum

Need a new song to blast before you go out, ladies? Lady A’s new song is perfect while you get ready for a night downtown. Hillary Scott dominates the song with her killer vocals, while the guitar beat has a sassy feel that will help you get ready to paint the town red.

Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye – Luke Bryan

Luke Bryan took home the biggest prize at the Academy of Country Music Awards when he won Entertainer of the Year. “Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye” is a fan favorite, but the country hottie has several hits like “Country Girl (Shake It For Me)” and “I Don’t Want This Night To End.” After his album “Tailgates and Tanlines” went platinum, Bryan released “Spring Break…Here to Party” on March 5. The compilation of songs from his four spring break EPs became his first number one album on the Billboard 200.

Better Dig Two – The Band Perry

The first single off of The Band Perry’s second album “Pioneer” gives off an angsty feel thanks to Kimberly Perry. Perry shows her rock star attitude in the song as she slays the vocals. With the help of eerie lyrics, the song conveys a distinct sound that helped it become a smash hit. It was certified platinum, while the album hit number one on Billboard’s Top Country Albums.

Wagon Wheel – Darius Rucker

“Wagon Wheel” by Old Crow Medicine Show has been a country favorite for years. After Darius Rucker joined the group at the Grand Ole Opry in July 2012 to perform the hit, he announced he had recorded his own version with guest vocals from Lady Antebellum. Rucker’s version is the second single from his album “True Believers” and is currently blowing up with tons of radio play. Did I mention the Duck Dynasty cast makes an appearance in the music video? It doesn’t get more country than that.

Taylor loves The Beatles, River Phoenix movies and vinyl records. She can usually be found dancing at a concert or discussing how she was born in the wrong decade.