Cover Song Mania

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

I won’t lie and say I didn’t learn all of the words to “Call Me Maybe” within a day. I may channel my inner Katy Perry whenever “Wide Awake” plays. However, we all know that radio stations are notorious for playing the same songs in a cycle to the point where your favorite songs become your worst nightmares. Solution? Cover songs! Cover songs are perfect for artists to hook listeners into checking out their unique versions of popular songs and their original music, too. Next time the radio is driving you crazy with the same five songs on repeat, spice it up and listen to these versions. Who knows? They may be better than the originals!

Payphone – Paradise Fears

We all know that Adam Levine from Maroon 5 rocks, but Paradise Fears takes this song to a whole new level. It’s number one on my running playlist because of its fast beat and contagious bongo drum sound. Did I mention that lead singer Sam Miller has a freestyle rap with references to The Hunger Games, Home Alone, and Britney Spears? Oozing with creativity, this song gives Maroon 5’s version of run for its money.

Super Bass – The Downtown Fiction

If you’ve never heard of the “Punk Goes Pop” album series, you’re missing out. Released on Fearless Records, the series features today’s biggest punk bands and their unique spins on pop songs that are blowing up on the chart. “Punk Goes Pop, Volume 4,” the latest volume released, has a cover of “Super Bass” that you’re sure to love. The Downtown Fiction took on this song and made it their own. With only guys in the band, some tweaks in the lyrics had to be made which make it fun, creative, and catchy.

Give Your Heart a Break – Julia Sheer

If you love acoustic covers, this song is for you. Julia Sheer has a powerful voice that helped her nail Demi Lovato’s “Give Your Heart a Break.” Relying on a single piano throughout the song, Sheer conveys emotion while not being distracted by other instruments or sounds. She packs the song with so much feeling that singing along is practically contagious. You’ll be singing at the top of your lungs trying to hit those notes in no time!

Mean – Artist Vs Poet

How does a punk-pop band conquer a song by America’s favorite country cutie? I’m not sure, but ask Artist Vs Poet. After losing a lead singer and rearranging the lineup, the band put out several cover videos on YouTube to keep fans happy until new material was released. With over 200,000 views on their cover of Taylor Swift’s “Mean,” I’d say the fans are more than happy. Lead singer Joe Kirkland, a contestant on Adam Levine’s team on this season of The Voice, exhibits his vocal talent as the new lead singer of the band. Maintaining Swift’s iconic country sound while adding their own, the band makes a song full of harmonies that you’ll love!

No Sleep – Holiday Parade

Many would say that giving a Wiz Khalifa song an acoustic spin would be risky and even disastrous. Holiday Parade from Atlanta, Georgia proved all of them wrong. While “No Sleep” is an anthem for living life to the fullest and having fun, this cover may make you feel like unwinding and relaxing. The song has a slow beat and has hints of reggae influence. Their version is the most creative take on a song I’ve ever heard and is sure to score a spot on your playlist for relaxation time around the house.

Some Nights – Before You Exit

If you’ve turned on the radio in the past month, chances are you’ve heard “Some Nights” by fun. It’s currently in the running for the song of the year with all of its radio play and appearances in movie trailers. Most bands would be intimidated to even attempt to imitate lead singer Nate Ruess’ incredible vocals, but Before You Exit took that chance. Because the members are so young, they gave a different version of the vocals that still makes the song catchy and fun. The band kept it original by adding a drum section that will have you drumming on any object within a one foot radius. Don’t say we didn’t warn you.

Do you have any favorite cover songs that you think may be better than the originals? Let us know in the comments!

Taylor loves The Beatles, River Phoenix movies and vinyl records. She can usually be found dancing at a concert or discussing how she was born in the wrong decade.