The Collegiette’s Guide To Gifts That Give Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Although I didn’t partake in any Black Thursday/Friday Shopping, I can imagine the horrible scenes of granny trampling and fist fights over flat screens. So if you’re like me and like to avoid the crowds, but also want to put some good karma back into the universe this holiday season, look no further. The following ten gift ideas are chic and charitable (and can be purchased online–Cyber Monday, anyone?). Happy holidays my fellow collegiettes!

1. For the Michael Kors Fan: Watch Hunger Stop Oversized Watch 

Though I doubt anyone has grown tired of their beloved Michael Kors watch, the holidays are a good time to switch up your wardrobe. MK worked alongside the United Nations World Food Programme to help end hunger with this gold and turquoise toned watch. For each watch sold, WFP will deliver 100 meals to children in need.  

2. For the Boho Chick: Items from Noonday Collection 

Noonday sells tons of jewelry, bags, and cozy accessories that are made by global artisans to help alleviate poverty and empower women. 

3. For the Emi-Jay Obsessed: Brazilets

Like the popular hair tie, Brazilets add a splash of color to an otherwise bare wrist. But Brazilets have a secret second purpose. As you tie the braclet on, you make three knots representing three wishes. When then bracelet falls off, your wishes come true. Each bracelet supports the planting of new trees. (Note: from experience, these suckers stay on a loooong time).

4. For the Trendy Bookworm: Out Of Print Clothing

Out of Print sells everything from sweatshirts to totebags and with dozens of classic titles to choose from, you’re bound to find bring back some childhood nostalgia for the holidays. Each purchase sends a book to an African community in need.

5. For the Graphic Design Major: Denik Notebooks

Any of these beautifully designed notebooks from independent artists help build schools around the world. 

6. For Your Eco-Friendly Friend: Ekocycle

Founded by will.i.am and Coca-Cola, Ekocycle works with big name brands like Beats by Dre and Adidas to make products from recycled matierals. 

7. For the One Who Lives in Greek Tees: Sevenly

Sevenly sells beautiful (and well-designed!), limited edition shirts that support a new charity each week. These stylish tees not only promote social awareness, but they’re great replacements for those worn-out swap shirts. 

8. For the Glam Girl: Joan Hornig

Perfect for your mom of BFF, pieces from Joan Hornig feature 18k gold, sterling silver, and gemstones. At checkout, you can select one of hundreds of charities (including causes like animals rights, promotion of the arts, and social welfare) to donate to and 100% of the profit goes towards their efforts. 

9. For the Beach Bum: Warby Parker Sunglasses

Like TOMS, Warby Parker has a “Buy A Pair, Give A Pair” campaign; so for each pair of glasses purchased, a pair is donated to a person in need. Whether you need new frames à la Jess Day from New Girl or you’re only day-dreaming about upcoming spring break purchases, Warby Parker should be your first stop. 

10. For the One with the Sweet Tooth: Karlie’s Kookies

Yup. You read right. That Karlie Kloss. It may seem odd that a supermodel has her own line of baked goods, but these cookies are dairy and gluten free.  Each tin sold donates a portion of the profit to FEED to help provide meals for those in need. 

RepImage

Image1

Image2

Image3

Image4

Image5

Image6

Image7

Image8

Image9

Image10

Image11

Image12

Image13

Image14