Cody Nall, Raising Awareness To All!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Cody Nall, president of Auburn University Body Image Education and Eating Disorder Awareness, gives us the 411 on the organization. She has dedicated many years to improving the young lives of men and women with eating disorders and shares her experiences with us. Cody won two awards from the 2013 Panhellenic Convocation, for her steadfast efforts towards raising awareness. 

HC: What drove you to want to join this organization? 

Cody: I battled bulimia throughout high school and part way through my freshman year at Auburn. After I surrendered my eating disorder to Jesus my freshman year and began the healing process, the Lord really tugged at my heart to speak up and raise awareness. I started a yearly event called Love the Skin You’re In, which we bring in speakers to talk about eating disorders and body image. The sole purpose of this event is to decrease the stigma around eating disorders, to raise awareness, and to get support for anyone struggling with an eating disorder.

HC:   As president of AUBIE-EDA, what do you hope to accomplish? 

Cody: As president of AUBIE-EDA I hope to share the message with everyone, that we are not all perfect. We have flaws. We mess up. Eating disorders are a mess-up and a flaw that tends to have a bigger stigma than others but it does not make it any worse. AUBIE-EDA and its members exists to remind people that there is freedom from eating disorders and that we should all love and appreciate the bodies we’ve been given. 

HC: What is your favorite part about working with AUBIE-EDA? 

Cody: My favorite part about working with AUBIE-EDA is hearing how our members are reaching out to Auburn’s campus and helping men and women across Auburn University love the bodies they’ve been given. I also love hearing real, intentional conversations that I or AUBIE-EDA members have, whether it is discussing a healthy lifetsyle, eating disorders, or body image.

HC: What has been the most challenging part of leading this organization? 

Cody: The most challenging part of this organization has been the seriousness. Many people do not take eating disorders or maintaining a healthy body image seriously. This is an issue that is not only plaguing Auburn University, but our entire nation. It is nothing to take lightly. And I believe that AUBIE-EDA, although a small organization, is making a powerful impact on Auburn’s campus.

HC:  Last spring when you organized the EDA workshop, “Love The Skin You’re In”, did you expect such a big turn out? 

Cody: NO! I had no earthly clue whether anyone would even come to Love the Skin You’re In or not. I had all my friends praying for the event and making baked goods. I was so humbled and delighted to have hundreds of girls show up to come to hear and learn more about eating disorders. The first Love the Skin You’re In was actually something I created as Director of Spiritual Life for Panhellenic. So, Auburn Panhellenic supported this event and supported me from the beginning. They helped make it all happen! It was after this first Love the Skin You’re In that I was asked to consider AUBIE-EDA president.

HC: Has this organization shaped or benefited you in anyway? 

Cody: Absolutely. AUBIE-EDA has taught me so much about leadership and what it means to be a leader. Leadership within this organization means being honest and open. I would rather be “raw” and share my shortcomings than appear all put together and fake. I would rather ask for help than run around like a mad woman trying to get everything together myself. AUBIE-EDA exec has constantly reminded me of what it means to work as a team and to be a community. I had a wonderful executive board this year with AUBIE-EDA who accomplished so much more than I could have ever imagined. They are warriors for this cause and share the same passion that I do so it is an incredible group to work with. 

HC: Are you involved in anything outside of Aubie EDA? 

Cody: Outside of AUBIE-EDA, I have been a part of Best Buddies for 3 years and I am currently event coordinator. Best Buddies is a non-profit organization on Auburn’s campus that matches up Auburn students with people in the Auburn/Opelika area with disabilities. My Best Buddy, Jeffrey, and I have been friends since my freshman year at Auburn and he puts a smile on my face every time I am around him. I love him so much and my life would not be the same without him.

HC: Do you plan to continue raising awareness after college? 

Cody: Bulimia is a huge part of my story. It is what brought me to my knees and thankfully forced me to see nothing but Jesus. I cannot blot it out of my life and I would never want to. So, yes, I will continue to raise awareness and love on those who battled with eating disorders and body image issues. As my dad would say, “we all struggled with ‘things’ in life and this [bulimia] just happens to be your ‘thing'”. So, we all have a ‘thing’ (a struggle) in life and we, as people, should work together to build each other up and help each other through the hard times.