burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Celebrity on Campus: Stylist Joiee Thorpe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Celebrity Stylist Joiee Thorpe brought her expertise to the plains on Tuesday, September 30th with the People StyleWatch Celebrity Stylist on Campus Tour. Dressed in a slouchy silver sequined top, distressed jeans, and fabulous bejewled gold sandals, Joiee stunned with her incredibly chic yet effortless fashion sense.  Her impeccable style was the perfect compliment to her fun and chill personality, and that is why she is this week’s Campus Celebrity!

Can you describe your role as Market and Style Editor for People StyleWatch Magazine?I am the TV Stylist & Market Editor at People StyleWatch Magazine. I style all of the fashion television segments for Today Show, The View, Good Morning America, Access Hollywood, NY Live etc.  My day to day is casting models, fitting models, going to designer showrooms to select and style clothing for the segments.

When did you first discover your passion for style?I get my sense of style from my mother! But at a young age I knew exactly what I liked. I remember, in second grade, making my mother go out to get me a pair of white moccasins and she was like “it’s winter and they don’t go with your uniform”. I didn’t care! I wanted them and I wore them all year [laughs]. 

How did you become a celebrity stylist?I landed my first job at a magazine called Teen People!!! I was the Accessories Assistant to Alva Polinsky (who is still one of my dearest friends). I got to wear many hats at the magazine, assisting Hayley Hill (Fashion Director) and Jorge Ramon (Fashion editor) on many celebrity cover shoots and Feature photo shoots.  It was amazing!  I worked with so many celebrities and had an amazing start to my career. 

What is your favorite part of your job?My favorite part of my job is seeing the finished product!! On set watching the segment come to fruition. Also, I am constantly meeting new people, which is fun for me as well.

What is the most exciting thing that has happened to you throughout your career?Probably when I met the group No Doubt/Gwen Stefani!! I am a huge fan of the band and they were all so nice!! I have a ton of wow Moments like being in the same elevator with Barbara Walters and Whoopi Goldberg! Totally blew my mind…”women power!”

What advice do you have for collegiettes looking to break into the fashion world?I would say definitely say start doing internships and networking now!! It is a very competitive industry.  My very first internship was at Ford Modeling Agency and I swear I called the booker every week before she was like fine come in…not that anyone should do that [laughs].

What are you favorite fall trends?My favorite fall trends are Fringe bags, cocoon coats, and cropped trousers. 

How would you describe your style? Hmm, that question is loaded for me since I am such a moody dresser but let’s just say I live on the edge! I am not classic at all.

Do you have a favorite staple item in your wardrobe?Probably my beaded Chloe jacket I’ve had for years now. I whip it out every season. Although I am in love with my new vintage distressed Levi’s shorts and my NYC sweater by Elie Tahari for Design Nation.

What’s the best thing a collegiette can do to stay stylish?Don’t be afraid to try different things but stay true to yourself. Don’t try to be someone else’s idea of stylish.  Look for what you like to wear whether it is classic, girly or edgy and keep adding cool pieces to your wardrobe.  

Who is your favorite celebrity to style?People who aren’t afraid to take risk but aren’t super over the top either. I love Kate Moss, Rihanna and Whitney Port. Kendall Jenner is also coming up on my Radar!

Is there one outfit in particular that you’ve put together that is your favorite?Probably this group shot from The People StyleWatch Access Hollywood segment. All of these looks show the different sides of meJ. I would wear either look on any given day.

Rep ImageInstagram image courtesy of Joiee Thorpe