Camren Brantley Rios – ALAS President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

One of the amazing aspects of Auburn University is that it is filled with such a large amount of culturally diverse students! Camren Brantley Rios, president of ALAS, tells Her Campus about this awesome organization designed to celebrate the rich heritage of Auburn’s Latino students!

HC Auburn: Where are you from?

Camren: I was born in Martinez, California but I moved around a lot in the general San Francisco Bay Area.

ALAS after our performance at Auburn’s Chinese New Year Celebration

HC Auburn: What is your major?

Camren: I actually just switched to Public Relations.

Me and my co-president Andrea Manjarrez at the Global Peace Convention in Atlanta, GA

HC Auburn: What are your responsibilities as president of the Auburn Latino Association of Students?

Camren: My co-president and I spend a lot of time together just brainstorming on different events and fun activities. The hard part is actually fleshing them out into a reality. There is also a diplomatic role that comes with being a president of an international organization. A lot of this means going to different multicultural events on campus or reaching out to other organizations and establishing good relationships.

HC Auburn: What is the purpose of ALAS and how might students go about getting involved with this organization?

Camren: We really want to provide a place where people can feel comfortable expressing themselves in their heritage. Unfortunately, in the Deep South there isn’t much of a stress on cultural diversity. I know it can be difficult for certain groups of people who stand out. That is why I’ve always looked up to those who run organizations like the Gay Straight Alliance or Black Student Union. Without these awesome groups, people might forget how their diversity makes them special and in that situation it’s easy to linger in the shadows.

The group we have is really fun though. Anyone is welcome to join and you don’t have to have an ounce of Latin blood to join. So for those who might me interested in getting involved, I would recommend liking our Facebook page for more info. Just go to facebook.com/AuburnAlas

HC Auburn: Tell us about your Latino Heritage.

Camren: Well on my dad’s side we got Mexico and Chile and I’ve heard rumors that my mom has some Spanish blood. The funny part is that no one can ever guess what I am. I’ve gotten some pretty random guesses in the past.

HC Auburn: What other organizations are you involved with at Auburn?

Camren: I currently work for the First Year Experience office as a Camp War Eagle counselor. If I had the time, I would definitely be involved with more organizations!

HC Auburn: Will there be any events held by ALAS this semesester?

Camren: This semester, no. The club was actually inactive up until last semester so we’re still trying to get the funds to host our own event. However, we do make cameos at other events. We recently performed for Auburn’s Chinese New Year Celebration. You can check us out at AGSA’s “What-A-Drag” event on March 2nd. Don’t forget to bring tips for the performers!

I'm a Sophomore at Auburn University majoring in Apparel Merchandising