Campus Celebrity: Meg McGuffin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.
Name: Meg McGuffin
Nickname: Egg McMuffin (hence, #CrownTheEgg)
Title(s): Miss Alabama’s Outstanding Teen 2007, Miss Auburn University 2014, Miss Phenix City 2015, Miss Alabama 2015
Age: 22
Education: Recently graduated from Auburn with a Bachelor’s in Radio, Television & Film 

Having competed with Meg at Miss Alabama in both 2014 and 2015, I can honestly say that she is one of the most genuine, relatable and hilarious human beings. Aside from that, she was awesome enough to take time out of her crazy Miss America-prep schedule in Atlantic City to answer a few questions for me. Here you go, readers!

What are three things that can be found in your purse right now?
Lipstick, a phone charger and a journal so that I can document my Miss America experience!

Who inspires you?
My mom inspires me. She’s raised me for the past 22 years as a single mom, and I’ve watched her make sacrifices every day to make ends meet so that I could live out my dreams. She is strong and courageous and I hope to someday be half the mother she is.

I know you love Britney Spears…how do you channel your inner Britney? (LOL)
Her hit song “Work” is my morning alarm ringtone. Starting every day with a little Britney helps me channel my inner star.

What will be the first thing you do after Miss America?
The first thing I will do after Miss America is eat an order of Burger King Fiery Chicken Fries. Literally, my favorite food.

How would you say going to Auburn prepared you for Miss America?
Going to Auburn has shaped my life into something I never expected it would become. Having the opportunity to serve as Miss Auburn University, a Camp War Eagle Counselor, and the President of the Auburn University Body Image Education and Eating Disorder Awareness showed me that my life’s calling is to serve others and truly make a difference in another person’s life. As Miss America, it is your job to be a public servant and to do for others. I have Auburn to thank for revealing to me what living with a servant’s heart truly means.

Being Miss Alabama is obviously stressful—what do you do to unwind?
I often go for a drive around Birmingham, take in what a beautiful city I live in and reflect on what this opportunity to serve as Miss Alabama means to my life. I’ve also discovered O’Henry’s Coffee in Birmingham and my “chill” spot.

What inspired your platform?
I’ve been dancing for the past 19 years so one could only imagine how much time I’ve spent looking at my body in a leotard and tights. I grew up hating my body; I developed more quickly than the other girls in my class and constantly compared my body to those around me. I remember constantly dieting, taking diet pills, and feeling guilty every time I ate between the ages of 12 and 18. While I was never diagnosed with an eating disorder, I certainly had signs of disordered eating. I finally discovered that my identity did not lie in the number on the scale or my jeans; my identity lies in the way I inspire and serve those around me. There is no ideal weight, only ideal health; and that looks different on everyone. This is the conclusion that I want all men and women to come to; thus, “Healthy is the New Skinny” was born.

What phase of the competition are you the most excited about?
Besides interview, where I get to share my heart with the judges panel, strangely enough, I’m most excited about Swimsuit competition. I’ve struggled with body dissatisfaction for long enough! I’m finally in a place where I’m comfortable in my own skin and proud to say I’m healthier than ever (physically and mentally!) and I could not be more excited to radiate confidence when I walk across that stage and show that healthy really is the new skinny.

The Miss America Pageant will be held Sunday, September 13, 2015 in Atlantic City, New Jersey. The finals will be broadcast live on ABC at 9/8 central.
My Name: Jill Vinzant Junior year History major/Dance minor at Auburn University living fully and loving fiercely.