Campus Celebrity: Aja Melton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

The Omicron Kappa chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, better known as the Auburn Alphas, are hosting their annual Miss Black & Gold Pageant. This year’s theme is “The Search for the Perfect Jewel”, and it’s safe to say that Auburn University has several jewels to pick from! This year, there are seven contestants and HC Auburn was able to get an exclusive interview with current contestant, Aja Melton.

Age: 19

Major: Mechanical Engineering 

What made you want to participate in this pageant? Pageantry is something that’s completely out of my element and, to be honest, I used to think it was absolutely boring. I would say I’m a bit of a tomboy, so when the idea was presented to me I wasn’t immediately interested. It took time for me to actually consider participating in Miss B&G, and the thing that eventually brought me to do so was the voice in my head telling me that I couldn’t possibly win. I accepted the challenge because I wanted to prove something to others but more importantly I found that I needed to prove something to myself.

How exactly do you train for a pageant? Well, like I said before, I am a tomboy, which means all I needed was to take the way I typically do things (like how I walk, sit, talk, etc.) and do them in the opposite manner. You have to learn how to walk in heels and keep a good posture. When speaking you have to articulate and project your voice towards a full audience. [I learned] diction is created with the tip of the tongue at the top of the teeth. And as for talent, just practice. Practice, Practice, Practice!  Repetition, as with any performance, has been a huge part of preparing for the pageant. However the key to doing well is self-confidence, which is something you would most likely have to develop outside of practice [because it’s] a tool to be carried throughout life.

What  are you hoping to learn from this experience?: I’m hoping that this experience will help me conquer my fear of being on stage, being apprehensive towards judgment and criticism. I also hope that I can be an example for others to go out and challenge themselves by stepping out of their comfort zone. By doing so they’re bound to take themselves and others by surprise! Spontaneity doesn’t always have to be something wild and outrageous.

How can girls get involved next year?: Contact Courtney Bass, he’s the chairman for the Miss Black & Gold Pageant. If anyone wishes to participate next year they would need to contact him.

The pageant will take place on October 19th, 2014 in Foy Auditorium at 6:00 pm. Tickets are only $7 and can be purchased from any contestant in the pageant. Be there to witness the crowing of Auburn’s Miss Black & Gold 2014! HC Auburn wishes all contestants the best of luck! 

Terea Abernathy is a Senior at Auburn University, majoring in Theatre: Production Design & Technology with a Studio Art minor. She loves all things art related which as transferred into her writing and her art. War Eagle!