This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Make the choice to love the body that you have! We have been given such incredible bodies that are capable of doing such amazing things so it’s about time that we learn to give our bodies all the appreciation they deserve.  

Start with affirmations that overpower negativity. Tell yourself things like “I see beauty in other people”, “I don’t want to look like anyone but myself”, or “I am more than the way I look”. Learn to talk about your own body the way you would want other people to talk to you about your body. Your thighs are perfect. Your stretch marks are lovely. Your cellulite is just as beautiful as your gorgeous face. You are not disgusting. You are not unnatural. You are a woman made of skin, bones, and muscles that carry you through every day.

Wear what makes you feel good. Rock those running shorts and oversized tees if that’s what makes you happy. Shine in that crop top and high waisted shorts. Follow trends or set them. If it makes you happy, don’t be ashamed to put it on your body and stride down the concourse like it’s your runway.

Abandon the idea that weight determines health. A healthy body has been given the proper nutrients, water, and exercise it needs. Health is not a number so don’t try to do harm to your body by trying to fit what you think is an ideal weight. Eat what makes you happy. Nourish your body. You never have to justify what you eat and don’t look down on others for the choices they make. That being said, there is no shame in making changes to the way you eat and exercise if it’s because you want to live healthier.  

Move away from other people’s idea of what is beautiful. Nobody is making you shave your legs or wear makeup, but if that’s what makes you feel comfortable and confident then that’s what you should be doing! If you are proud of your body and want to show it off, that’s wonderful! If you want to keep your body to yourself, that’s great! Everyone takes care of themselves differently and there is no one way that is better than another.

Don’t shame other girls! Being body positive means supporting other women in loving their bodies. Women need other women to help them on the road to self love. This means we need to agree to stop shaming women on their lifestyle choices. It doesn’t matter how a woman is dressed, her body type, or even what her sex life is like. All bodies are good bodies and all women are real women.

All photos by That Arthletic Girl

Sarah is currently a junior at Auburn University majoring in Graphic Design. She is in love with container gardening, music festivals, sunshine, and record stores. Some of her talents include getting hooked on tv shows with too many episodes and practicing amazing self control when it comes to online shopping. Her future aspirations include moving back to her hometown of Atlanta after graduating to pursue a career as a designer. Find her on instagram @saranspluey