This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

If you haven’t seen Marvel’s new film Black Panther, stop what you’re doing RIGHT NOW, head to theater, grab your popcorn and get ready for the one of the best movies of 2018.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe has been traditionally dominated by men, but THANKFULLY we are beginning to see a shift that includes more women on the roster.

At first, Black Widow was the only female Avenger. Now, Scarlet Witch is on the team, Lady Sif fought for Asgard, Valkyrie is going to be a future player and there are several others making their way on the scene. BUT it’s the women of Black Panther who have made the greatest strides for equality in superhero movies.

In the film, T’Challa’s (Chadwick Boseman) support system is predominantly women, with each playing a crucial role in saving Wakanda and helping T’Challa reclaim his throne. How’s that for GIRL POWER?

Praised for its strong feminist characters, Black Panther is described as a post-gender film for depicting the women of Wakanda as savvy warriors who are conscious of their power and know how to use it. Even the harshest critics of the film commend Black Panther for its gender politics.

We get to witness the power of the Dora Milaje, the all-female protection squad, yes that’s right…ALL-female protection squad along with two of Wakanda’s fiercest warriors, Nakia (Lupita Nyong’o) and Okoye (Danai Gurira), who pair up to execute the nation’s most dangerous missions.

From the start of the film, the story avoids the sexist tropes we are accustomed to watching on our screens. The women’s sex appeal is obvious but secondary to their personality and skill. They are strategic opponents in battle, saving the life of Black Panther, T’Challa, several times over. Equally entrusted with guiding and protecting the nation, they do NOT need to be rescued, sustained or lauded by men when they can clearly do it themselves.

In this film, everyone has their own thing going on, whether it’s being a super-genius with a taste for shoe puns, freeing young girls from assumed sexual slavery (which, by the way, wow), maintaining a regal front in the face of chaos, or making hard choices when it comes to dueling loyalties, the women in Black Panther are busy, interesting warriors. Now excuse me while I go see the movie for the third time!

Taylor is a Junior studying journalism with a Spanish minor at Auburn University, and after graduation plans to attend law school to pursue a career in fim focusing on legal affairs. In addition, Taylor is also a member of the Kappa Upsilon chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. When she isn't doing school work, she enjoys binge watching Grey's Anatomy, working out, and shopping. Some of her favorite things include traveling, going to concerts, and going out with her line sisters.