Best Valentine’s Day Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

We love it, we hate it, we dread it, we pretend not to care (but secretly do). You know what I’m talking about…Valentine’s Day. While this Hallmark approved holiday is fast approaching, many of us collegiettes are probably wondering what the heck we are going to do this February 14th! Well we’ve got a great idea no matter if your single and ready to mingle, or just want to spend a cozy night in with your man. Hosting a Valentine’s Day Movie Marathon is a great way to get all of your single gals together, and definitely beats the inevitable date night crowd at the movie theatre (not to mention the ridiculous ticket prices!). Not sure what to watch? HC Auburn’s got you covered with our list of The Best Valentine’s Day Movies. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, and trust me, you’ll swoon. So whether you’ve got a date or not, grab that box of chocolates and indulge. After all, everyone needs a little V-Day lovin’.

1. Titanic (1997)

One of the most epic romances the silver screen has ever seen, it’s impossible not to fall in love with Leo (aka the charming Jack Dawson). He makes being trapped on a sinking ship not sound all that bad.

2. The Notebook (2004)
Ryan Gosling. Rachel McAdams. Nicholas Sparks… need we say more?

3. Casablanca (1942)

A Bogart and Bergman black and white classic. Known for it’s many famous one-liners (“Here’s looking at you kid” ring a bell?), this is a must-see for any movie buff.

4. Dirty Dancing (1987)

Daddy’s little girl falls for the bad boy camp dance instructor…what’s not to love? You’ll have the time of your life watching this 80’s classic.

5. Gone with the Wind (1939)

The mother of all romantic films, and one of my all time favorite movies. Scarlet O’Hara is vicious, beautiful, and impossible not to love (even when you hate her). Plus, the girl knows how to rock a pair of curtains like it’s nobody’s business.

6. Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005)

A great movie to watch with your guy, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie heat up the screen as sexy assassins. The catch- neither knows the other’s deadly secret.

7. Pride & Prejudice (2005)

The tormented romance between Elizabeth Bennet (played by the queen of “period” films, Keira Knightley) and Mr. Darcy is one for the books…literally. Besides, what would Valentine’s be without a little Jane Austen?

8. Something’s Gotta Give (2003)

Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton shine onscreen in this light-hearted romantic comedy. Trust me, this Nancy Meyers’ film is too cute to miss.

9. Knocked Up (2007)

This is the perfect movie if you’re in the mood for a little less romance and a little more comedy. Starring Katherine Heigl, Paul Rudd, Seth Rogen, Leslie Mann, Jason Segel, and Jonah Hill (just to name a few), your bound to see the humor in this not-so-normal relationship.

10. Love and Other Drugs (2010)

A woman suffering from Parkinson’s (Anne Hathaway) strikes up an unexpected relationship with a Pfizer drug rep (Jake Gyllenhaal), and basically the two of them are naked the majority of the movie. I recommend this if you’re in the mood for a heartwarmingly sexy film.

11. No Strings Attached (2011)

Ashton Kutcher and Natalie Portman try to keep their relationship strictly physical, but when you’re that good looking sparks are bound to fly. This slightly predictable Chick-Flick is another great date night film, and one of the best I’ve seen in a while.

12. When Harry Met Sally (1989)

Harry and Sally have known each other since college, and as their friendship grows, so does the question of whether or not people of the opposite sex can be friends without having sex. Be sure to look out for the famous “orgasm scene”.

13. Shakespeare in Love (1998)

Shakespeare has never seemed so sexy thanks to Gwyneth Paltrow and Joseph Fiennes. Winner of 7 Academy Awards, this movie will make your heart melt.

14. French Kiss (1995)

America’s sweetheart, Meg Ryan, takes on France to try to win her fiancé back. What to expect: Paris, vineyards, a thief, and one heck of a diamond necklace. This flick is the perfect Rom-Com for a night with the girls.

15. Moulin Rouge! (2001)

A great pick for our musical loving collegiettes. Can love conquer all? Find out… as long as you’re prepared to weep.

16. Notting Hill (1999)

When Anna Scott, the world’s most famous woman, walks into William Thacker’s little bookstore, his life is changed forever. If you haven’t seen this movie, you need to… right now.

17. The Adjustment Bureau (2011)

Matt Damon and Emily Blunt are intoxicating onscreen as a ballerina and politician who fight against mysterious forces to be together…but fate keeps stepping in. This is a great Valentine’s Day thriller that your guy is bound to love.

18. Out of Africa (1985)

Meryl Streep and Robert Redford are perfect in my book, so to me this movie can do no wrong. If epic romances, African safaris, white linen, and sensual shampoo scenes are your things, then this is the movie for you. Be warned: grab a box of tissues, this is a tear-jerker.

19. Beauty and the Beast (1991)

Perfect for our Disney princess collegiettes, its always fun to revisit a childhood classic. This is a great sing-a-long for you and your girlfriends (you’ll be surprised how quickly you remember all the words).

20. Pretty Woman (1990)

Only Julia Roberts can somehow make hooking seem fabulous in this modern-day Cinderella story.

21. Jerry Maguire (1996)

Can’t get your guy to watch a chick flick? Just mention the word ‘sports’ and I’m sure he’ll be convinced. This film is all about taking chances, and believe me..it will “have you at hello”.

22. Meet Joe Black (1998)

I won’t say too much about this film because I don’t want to give anything away, but I will say it’s truly touching (plus Brad Pitt is oh so sexy). A wonderful choice if you like a good mystery.

23. The Princess Bride (1987)

The young and beautiful Buttercup is engaged to Prince Humperdinck against her will, so it’s up to her beloved Westley to come and save her. Perfect for our collegiettes who are in need of a good old fashioned fairy tale.

24. WALL-E (2008)

Another animated movie makes our list, and this futuristic family film is sure to please. WALL-E, a little robot who has been left on Earth to clean up the mess, falls in love with EVE after he rescues her from a dust storm. This movie will warm your heart, and have you recycling in no time!

25. Cold Mountain (2003)

This Civil War epic might leave you balling, but it’s a must-see for our hopelessly romantic collegiettes. The film follows Inman (Jude Law), a confederate soldier who abandons the war to return home to his sweetheart Ada (Nicole Kidman). Will they ever see each other again… you’ll have to wait to find out.

Ellery is a senior at Auburn University double majoring in Radio, Television, and Film and Musical Theatre. She became involved with her campus in the Fall of 2011, and is a contributing writer and co-founder of the HC branch at her school. Ellery spends her time anchoring and producing stories for the Eagle Eye TV, as well as teaching acting classes for children at the local community theater. A member of the Delta Zeta sorority and the Lambda Pi Eta National Communication Honors Society, Ellery has enjoyed her time at the loveliest village on the plains, and hopes to pursue an editorial career. Originally from Florida, Ellery loves cooking, fashion, traveling, arts and crafts, and has a flair for all things with southern charm. With a passion for reading and films, Ellery also enjoys the outdoors including hiking and most recently spear-fishing! Ellery is very excited to be apart of the HC team, and is looking forward to watching the Auburn branch grow.