Beat the Heat this Fall Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Normally this would be the time to start getting ready for fall weather–the leaves are beginning to change, but the weather is not. Since we live in Alabama and it doesn’t seem to get cold until Christmas, we’re still trying to make it in this heat. If you’ve lived in the South for more than a month, you know it’s hard to keep your makeup and skin looking fresh in this humidity. This has proven to be a pain at the recent football games we’ve had. You get all dressed up with your makeup looking perfect just to arrive at the stadium and sweat it all off. I’ve found a few products that help me with this annoyance, if you want to know how to keep your makeup looking as fresh as possible in this humidity then keep reading!

The first step to keeping your makeup last is to use a primer. My personal favorite is Benefit’s Stay Flawless 15 Hour Primer which can be found right here. Using a primer not only helps makeup to go on smoother but it also gives the makeup something to cling to, helping it to last longer.

The second product I recommend using is a lightweight foundation (if you use it), preferably one with a matte finish. I find that the Neutrogena Healthy Skin foundation works great. It has enough coverage to cover-up whatever you need it to, all the while letting your natural skin show through. If you use a buffing brush, you are blending the foundation out and into your skin to ensure that it doesn’t look or feel cakey. It also has an SPF of 20 so you don’t have to worry about getting sunburned. 

The next step to matte skin is using a powder. You could use a normal, tinted powder that gives your face some extra coverage, but I have found that sometimes doing this can make the skin look a little cakey, especially when it starts getting hot and humid. What I recommend using is a translucent powder, like Urban Decay’s De-Slick Mattifying Powder. This is perfect because its sole purpose is to keep your face matte. Apply this after you have finished all your makeup and you’re good to go, you can even stick it your purse to touch up in the bathroom if it’s necessary. 

The last product is one to finish everything off and seal everything into place. A setting spray is also good for special events or when you know you’ll need your makeup to last for awhile. The Urban Decay De-Slick Oil Control Setting Spray does a great job keeping the makeup you’ve just applied in place.

All of these products work together to give you the perfect matte looking skin that still looks natural. Use these before the next football game and I guarantee you’ll notice a huge difference!