AUDM’s Sarah Kelly is For The Kids!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Sarah Kelly is making a difference on Auburn’s campus by “standing for those who can’t” in her role as Vice President of Outreach for Auburn University Dance Marathon, more commonly refered to as AUDM. Her passion in doing work for the kids (or, as AUDM members say, FTK!) push her to do her best work for AUDM, an organization very dear to the heart of many Auburn students. Sarah was happy to share more details about the event, and herself, with HC! 

Hometown: Kansas City, MO

Year/Major: Junior in Human Development & Family Studies and Spanish

What other organizations are you involved with?

I am a member of a social sorority, I was a Camp War Eagle Counselor this past summer, and I am a member of the Catholic Student Organization.  

What is the purpose of AUDM?

Auburn University Dance Marathon is a year-round fundraising effort that culminates in a 12-hour marathon in February. The program raises money for Children’s MIracle Network at Columbus Regional Medical Center in Columbus, Georgia. 

Why did you get involved with AUDM?

When I was a freshman, AUDM approached my Freshman Leadership Program about getting involved as committee members. After hearing about the mission of the program and the passion that each staff member had for it, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity. AUDM has become an integral part of not only my college experience but my life.

AUDM is a fairly young organization on campus–what are you hoping to accomplish in your time as VP?

As Vice President, one thing that I continually have to remind myself of is that we are still laying the foundation for future AUDM success. The attitude, events, and energy that we establish will continue long past my time at Auburn. With this in mind, I hope to help committees succeed in a way that will benefit the staff members, dancers, and most importantly, miracle kids for a long time to come.

Will there be any differences between this year’s event and those of previous years?

The goal and premise of the AUDM 2014 will be the same as those from past events. However, our staff is constantly innovating and striving to make AUDM better. The energy and creativity of our staff is focused first on the children we support and also on the students of Auburn University. We would be nothing without the support of Auburn students, so making the event even more exciting and enjoyable for the students is critical!

What are you most looking forward to about AUDM 2014?

For me, as Vice President of Outreach, the most exciting part about AUDM 2014 is the distinct privilege to share our program with more people than in years past. Our number of Miracle Families is growing and we are hoping to involve more of the Auburn community in what we do. My passion within Dance Marathon is sharing why I love the program and the ways they can fall in love with it!

What ways can Auburn students get involved in the event?

Auburn students have several ways of getting involved with AUDM. We currently have applications for general staff, morale, and emcees out on AU Involve until September 11. Students are also encouraged to participate in Dance Marathon as dancers. Anyone can register on a team, create their own team, or register as an individual. There is a place for everyone in AUDM and all of staff is more than happy to help anyone find what that place is! You can register at www.audancemarathon.com

Any advice for freshmen who are unsure about what to get involved with?

The key to getting involved on campus is finding an organization or two that you are truly passionate about and believe in. The feeling of fulfillment you get from that but also knowing that you are valued and respected by the organization is an incredible gift!