Auburn’s Young Writer: Laura Cancannon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Auburn freshman, Laura Cancannon, is an aspiring writer. She first began writing short stories when she was a child, but they progressively became longer as she approached her teens. The inspiration for her stories simply comes to her. She sees images in her mind and forms a story to share with those around her. She is now an English major with a concentration in professional writing.

Her favorite topic to write about is sports because of her love for sports and being active. You could say she is well traveled as she was adopted from China at only 11 months old, then living in Pennsylvania with her adopted family and moving to Georgia in her youth. 

In 2013, she self published her first novel, To Escape the Currents, which is about sisters, Sage and Sarah Simpson, journeying to Hawaii in search of waves, happiness and love. The two of them encounter professional surfers and become thrown into the surfers’ world, but how will they handle such a challenge? Later in 2014, Laura worked with Christian author, Cynthia Simmons, in order to edit, copyright, and re-self publish her novel. She even has a second novel on the way. We can’t wait to read it, Laura! 

I'm an involved Sophomore at Auburn University with a passion for writing.  I've grown up as a Navy Brat which has placed structure into my life.  I enjoy helping others in my free time as it brings joy to my heart.  I believe in Auburn and love it.