Album Review: Kehlani Parrish’s SweetSexySavage

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Kehlani Parrish is a 21-year-old new R&B singer. Parrish’s career took off last year after her album, “You Should be Here,” hit the scene. Parrish was quickly on her way to the top, but like other celebrities, her fame started to interfere with her personal life.

After attempting to take her life, Parrish took a break. She deleted her social media for a while and took time to focus on herself and her music. She came back this year with a vengeance.

Her new album, “SweetSexySavage,” not only shows every side of Parrish, but of every young woman like her. It has a perfect mix of the sweet, the lover, the sexy, the fighter, the hood, etc. It’s every side of us and is everyone one of us.                                                                             

The album starts off with a powerful poem that shows a woman’s strength. It’s an apology to those who think or thought she is or was anything less than she is. After the intro, the album starts with a calming yet upbeat song called “Keep On.”

She began with a song that gives you the perfect feel for what you should expect from the album. It’s a great mix of fast and slow, but it’s never boring or obnoxious. It’s great to listen to while walking to class.

SweetSexySavage brings along that feeling you get when listening to 90s R&B music. Not with just the beats and music, but also her words, her voice, her style. Parrish gives off that vibe with her fashion style as well.

I think every young woman should try and take a listen to this album. I think many would enjoy it and maybe even feel as if it speaks to them in some way.