8 Ways to be Safe & Sexy Over Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Flings happen – especially during Spring Break. Whether you’re planning on getting busy or a spring romance catches you by surprise, there are some golden guidelines every collegiette should follow.

The typical advice:

1. No love without the glove.

This is a popular cliché for a reason. Even if you’re on the pill, condoms are always your most effective protection against STDs. Bring your own condoms along with you! Nothing is more sexy than a lady who is prepared. Regardless, you deserve better than a frat-special bargain brand.

2. Don’t forget your pill!

Seriously. Set an obnoxious alarm on your phone. This is (hopefully) your only time commitment on your break, so don’t be late.

3. Sky Bar rules are in effect.

As always, watch your daiquiri get mixed and don’t leave your glass unattended. Also, going off alone with a strange guy, or even a group of strangers, is not wise. Please be safe and avoid the situation.

The atypical advice:

4. Set up a signal with your friends ahead of time.

Whether it’s something silly, “I saw a walrus today!” or more direct, “Get me away from this dude.” Your friends should know that you feel uncomfortable and help you get out of there. This is your time to have fun – don’t let a rude guy ruin your night.

5. Trust your friends.

If your best gal pal is dragging you away from a hot guy, there is a reason. Beer goggles can make a two into a ten.

6. His place or yours?

If you decide to seal the deal, there is the ever-looming question of location. It is safest to take a cab back to your own hotel and have a pre-determined time for your friends to arrive. This guarantees sand-free sheets and an added layer of safety. 

7. When Plan A doesn’t work…

There is always Plan B. It is up to you whether you think this option is appropriate for you. This over-the-counter pill is readily available at most pharmacies for around $50.

8. Don’t be afraid to have fun!

Just don’t have too much fun. Sex on the beach, even in Panama City, is against the law (and extremely gritty). It would be hard to explain an indecent exposure ticket to your parents.

Hi everyone! I'm a Junior at Auburn University majoring in Biomedical Sciences (Pre-Pharm).