photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

8 Traditional Thanksgiving Foods that Everyone Loves

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Ah Thanksgiving, the time of year where we give thanks for everything and everyone we have and eat heaping piles of delicious food. Thanksgiving, the time of year where the leaves are turning brilliant shades of yellow, red and orange; where everyone you see is wrapped up in a scarf and carrying a Starbucks holiday cup; and when we all forget about whatever diet we told ourselves we were doing and completely gorge on delicious food. We all love food, but what are the most traditional foods you see on the dinner table at this time of year?

1. Turkey

Well, obviously turkey is going to be on this list, seeing as some people like to refer to Thanksgiving as Turkey Day, and it is the most iconic Thanksgiving food. Whenever we think of Thanksgiving, we see a golden turkey sitting in the middle of a long table just waiting to be cut into. I don’t know about you guys, but I’m drooling just thinking about that delicious bird right now.

2. Mashed Potatoes

Ah yes, the carbs, the absolute best part of any meal. I’m sure we all love mashed potatoes, and we all know that heaping these fluffy clouds on top of a slice of turkey or a roll is absolute heaven. Wherever you celebrate Thanksgiving, you can rest assured that these will be on the table.

3. Mac and Cheese

One of the best parts of Thanksgiving is being able to scoop into the cheesy goodness of macaroni and cheese. This signature dish always leaves everyone going for seconds, and taking a huge Tupperware of it home. My favorite mac and cheese recipe actually includes cottage cheese in it!

4. Rolls

The bread, one of the best and most addictive parts of any meal, especially Thanksgiving. Coupled with its fellow carb mashed potatoes, these fluffy little bites of Heaven are sure to make your meal wonderful. Personally, my favorite type of roll is Sister Shubert Rolls.

5. Green Beans

Now, along with all these fattening carb loads of food, we need at least one green vegetable. Now I don’t have much to say about green beans, as I do not care for them at all, but all I can say is: to each their own.

6. Sweet Potato Casserole

Another healthy option, if you take away the brown sugar, butter and marshmallows on top that is. But would that really be a sweet potato casserole then? Who knows. But whether you like sweet potatoes or not, this is a delicious classic.

7. Cranberry Sauce

Ah, the turkey topper. The sweet yet sour sauce that most of us love to slather on top of our delicious slice of turkey. And I don’t know about y’all, but for some reason the canned gelatinous cranberry sauce will always be the best to me.

8. Pumpkin Pie

And last, but certainly not least, the classic Thanksgiving dessert. This lovely mixture of fall spices and pumpkin always leaves you wanting another slice. And, putting whipped cream on top just makes it even better. Now, if you all will excuse me, I’m going to go drool over pictures of pumpkin pie now.

Rachel Armstrong is a freshman at Auburn University pursuing a degree in English Literature and aspires to be a high school English teacher. Her favorite hobbies include reading, cooking, and playing video games. As a huge animal lover Rachel likes to spend her spare time volunteering at the Lee County Humane society so that she can give homeless animals the love they deserve.
Cathlene is a senior studying journalism and women's studies at Auburn University. She has been a part of Her Campus Auburn for three years and is in her first year as Campus Correspondent. When she isn't studying and working on Her Campus, she enjoys baking desserts, reading young adult fiction and watching Netflix (mainly Friends, The Office and The Great British Baking Show). Some of her favorite things include Disney, desserts and fluffy animals to cuddle. Cathlene aspires to write for a magazine once she graduates and hopefully move back to Los Angeles.