7 Ways to Prepare for the First Football Game

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Football season is finally here, ushering in the fall season (even though it’s still 80 degrees outside). September 2 is Auburn’s first football game, and whether you’re a freshman going to your first game or a veteran at gamedays, there are a few things to put on your list for Saturday’s preparations.

1. Get a button from the bookstore

You can get them the Friday before the game and the day of. The first 500 students at the bookstore on Friday can get a free one with your Ignited card, and they’ll be free on Saturday while supplies last. You can also get one with purchases both days and online.

2. Pick out your best Auburn outfit

Whether it’s a jersey and shorts or the cutest orange dress with blue jewelry, you want to look cute cheering in the student section. The theme for the game is All Auburn All Orange, so stock up on all the orange fashions beforehand.

3. Get your watching group together

Make sure everyone is on the same page for Saturday evening’s game. Pick your favorite sports fans and most fun friends to get pumped whether you’re in Jordan Hare or at home on the couch.

4. Prepare to eat the yummiest foods at tailgates or watching parties

One of the most important parts about football is the food. Tailgates or viewing parties are the best ways to bring whatever you want, but don’t forget about all the yummy choices in the stadium too!

5. Brush up on your cheers and chants knowledge

Surprise all your friends and family with your knowledge of all the cheers and chants. Classics include “Bodda Getta” and the “War Eagle” chant and fight song, but don’t forget the other popular ones of “Glory, Glory to ole’ Auburn” and “Two Bits.”

6. Get your pom poms and temporary tattoos

Most Auburn fans have pom poms to shake and twirl during chants and also to celebrate an Auburn touchdown or win. Another thing lots of fans like is to put temporary tattoos on their cheeks to show support everywhere! Don’t forget these as accessories to your gameday outfit.

7. Be ready to cheer on our Auburn tigers!

Whether you’re at home or at Jordan Hare, get pumped to watch our Auburn Tigers play. When we win, don’t forget to do one of the best known traditions at Auburn, rolling Toomer’s Corner. War Eagle!

Cathlene is a senior studying journalism and women's studies at Auburn University. She has been a part of Her Campus Auburn for three years and is in her first year as Campus Correspondent. When she isn't studying and working on Her Campus, she enjoys baking desserts, reading young adult fiction and watching Netflix (mainly Friends, The Office and The Great British Baking Show). Some of her favorite things include Disney, desserts and fluffy animals to cuddle. Cathlene aspires to write for a magazine once she graduates and hopefully move back to Los Angeles.