free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Things That Happen When You Change Your Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

1) You realize you’re bored or too stressed or completely lost.

You get to the point where you’ve taken some classes and gotten to know your major better, and deciding you don’t like it. Either you find it to be too hard, too dull, or simply not the right fit for you.

2) You’ll feel like you don’t know what you’re doing.

Many people feel like they made the right decision when they initially declare a major and finding out otherwise can be discouraging. The National Center for Education Statistics states that 80 percent of students change their majors at least one. So it’s okay, because nobody else really knows what they’re doing either.

3) You make the official decision.

There’s a sudden feeling of uncertainty, but relief when you finally talk yourself into making the change.

4) People will react.

So maybe your parents are disappointed that you’re not their little astronaut, lawyer, or doctor, but this is a big life decision that you’re allowed to be selfish about. I mean, it’s only the rest of your life, right?

5) Someone will try to change your mind.

Bottom line: Doing your own research and not letting people sway you with their opinions (disguised as facts) will get you where you want to go. Your current advisor might try to persuade you from leaving, but your new advisor will be welcoming you with open arms.

6) You might be a little behind.

Unfortunately, it’s pretty common to change majors and find out that the courses you were previously required to take don’t count towards your new major. Though it might cost more, and you may graduate after a lot of your friends, but it should pay off in the long run. Own your decision and just think about those now irrelevant courses as “life experiece.”

7) Things will be different.

Suddenly you’re discovering buildings on campus that you didn’t know existed. You’re joining related organizations that you’ve never heard of before, and you’re meeting lots of new people. It may be intimidating, but there’s also a little feeling of adventure and accomplishment when starting something new.

Sarah is currently a junior at Auburn University majoring in Graphic Design. She is in love with container gardening, music festivals, sunshine, and record stores. Some of her talents include getting hooked on tv shows with too many episodes and practicing amazing self control when it comes to online shopping. Her future aspirations include moving back to her hometown of Atlanta after graduating to pursue a career as a designer. Find her on instagram @saranspluey