5 Stranger Things We Can All Learn from the Hit Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

The Netflix series Stranger Things jumped right out of the gate with its premiere this January with overwhelming success. I jumped on the binge wagon to see what all the fuss is about. I soon learned that Stranger Things is more than just a supernatural drama. It’s a show that demonstrates the power of hope and childlike determination in the face of danger. Here’s a list of 5 things that I think we can all learn from this hit series.

1. Believe in yourself, even when others don’t.

Joyce Byers demonstrates the true power of sheer determination through the search for her son. She is faced with loneliness as an entire town thinks she is crazy for standing by what she knows is true.

1. There is always hope.

Who possibly could have thought of communicating with their son through Christmas lights? Joyce Byers. That’s who.

1. Never underestimate someone’s ability.

Exhibit A: Eleven. This little powerhouse saved her friends on multiple occasions. Not to mention, she’s a girl.

1. Beauty isn’t just about outward appearance.

The connection between Nancy and Eleven really touched me. Eleven envies Nancy for her good looks, however, her relationship with Mike strongly enforces the idea that appearance isn’t everything.

1. Being weird is super cool.

No one likes a mouth breather. Mike, Dustin, Will, Lucas and Eleven all depict strong, heroic characters without conforming to the stereotypical “cool kid” persona. Their strangeness brings about a tight-knit friend group.

An Auburn freshman with a love for old films and all things Disney.