4 Ways to Survive College Without Your Pet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Half of your iPhone camera roll is filled with pictures of your four-legged friends, and let’s face it, you talk more about your pets than anything else. People are probably starting to give you funny looks by now. Everyone misses their fur babies at some point during their college career (some more than others), but here are four ways to ease the pain of missing them.

1. Face time dates

I’m not at all ashamed to say I have a group message with my parents, which is mainly them sending me pictures of my pets. If your parents are willing to indulge you, take it one step further and have a face time date with your dog (or cat). Although it will be a one-sided conversation, besides the random barking, seeing that fluffy little face and wagging tail is sure to make anyone’s week.

2. Hang out at the dog park all. day. long.

Need an excuse to hang your Eno up somewhere? Need your daily fix of dogs? Two words: dog park. People may wonder why you spend so much time there without actually bringing a dog, but what better way to meet your neighbors and their furry friends than hanging out at a place specially made for dogs. Most pet-friendly apartment complexes come equipped with an area for dogs, but if yours is lacking, check out Kiesel Park in Auburn which features an off leash area for your pups.

3. Volunteer at a local animal shelter

Volunteering is by far my favorite method of coping. Not only are you filling the empty void in your heart, but you are also giving attention to the pups that really deserve it. While going to an animal shelter can be extremely heart breaking since you want to take home every single fur baby, it is an amazing experience and great service opportunity. There are tons of animal shelters around Auburn including East Alabama Humane Society, Lee County Humane Society and Macon County Humane Society; all of which would love to have volunteers help out with daily chores and just spend time playing with the dogs.

4. Count down the days until you are reunited with you fur baby

Although you can’t physically run into your pet’s arms, that doesn’t mean you won’t try. Most crazy animal lovers probably have a count down on their phone and are anxiously awaiting the return trip home, not just to see the ‘rents but the most important thing in life this far, your animals. And trust me, they will be just as excited to see you. 

Animal Science major with a passion for writing. Crazy cat lover, avid diet coke drinker and a shopping addict.