nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

4 Tips for Landing an Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Internships could be your first step into the adult world, so make sure you follow these tips and land your dream internship.

• Double and triple check your resume.

Your resume is a very important and crucial tool during the application phase. Without a strong, clear and well-written resume, most employers will not consider an applicant. Proofread your resume and make sure there are no spelling, style or grammar errors. Recruit a friend to give it one last look before sending it in.

• Apply early

Don’t wait until the last minute to apply for your internship. Most employers start interviewing the candidates with strong resumes, and waiting until the last minute might curb your chances of getting recognized and potentially accepted. Most employers are required to set a due date, however; this does not mean the employer will wait to start looking at all the applications until that date.

• Be realistic.

Remember that you’re a student first and you have to make sure you’re getting your priorities straight. Internships vary from hours, location, pay and a host of other things. There is a lot to keep in mind when applying such as if you need to relocate, if you have funds for relocation, if public transportation would be needed or if you need a car. Do not accept an internship that you can’t handle just because it looks great on your resume. You would only be hurting yourself.

• Passion and experiences beat GPA

A resume with nothing but coursework will -most times- not get recognized by an employer. There has to be something else on your resume that shows your passion for the internship you’re applying for. An experience could be doing volunteer work, completing a career-related project, part-time job, etc.