3 Holiday Traditions You Should Start With Your Family

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

One thing I love about the holidays is all the traditions I have with my family. We have so many that we’ve started and have continued for years. With Thanksgiving and Christmas right around the corner, here are a few traditions you could start with your family.

1. Thankful Jar

Instead of doing the normal routine of going around the table and saying what you’re thankful for, have your family write down what they’re thankful for and put it in a jar. At the end of the day, read them aloud. You could even put them in a cute scrapbook and see how what you all are thankful for has changed every year.

2. Christmas Eve Dress Up

This is a tradition my family has started and used for many years now. We love to dress up at our Christmas Eve party. We’ve done a pajama theme, a character theme and even a Christmas theme. We then have a fashion show and vote for the best outfit. This is by far one of my favorite traditions. You should try it with your family!

3. Holiday Wine Night

This is something you can do with your older family members. It’s super easy to have a small wine tasting style party and is a great way to start a new tradition in your family!

Sierra is a sophomore majoring in Biomedical Science with a concentration in Pre-Physical Therapy. She wants to go to chiropractic school after she is done with undergrad. She's very focused on her studies, but when she has some free time, she loves to binge watch Netflix shows, hangout with friends, and go to school sporting events to cheer on her favorite team. War Eagle!
Cathlene is a senior studying journalism and women's studies at Auburn University. She has been a part of Her Campus Auburn for three years and is in her first year as Campus Correspondent. When she isn't studying and working on Her Campus, she enjoys baking desserts, reading young adult fiction and watching Netflix (mainly Friends, The Office and The Great British Baking Show). Some of her favorite things include Disney, desserts and fluffy animals to cuddle. Cathlene aspires to write for a magazine once she graduates and hopefully move back to Los Angeles.