This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

I recently had a birthday (shout out to my September babies #virgoseason). I just turned 20 and finally said goodbye to my teenage years. So I decided to review a few things I’ve learned in all these years. Here they are:

1. Try your hardest not to procrastinate.

This was one thing that took me forever to figure out (no surprise there). Stay on top of whatever you have to do and don’t allow yourself to wait until the last minute to do it. You’ll feel so much better getting things done early.

2. Find time to yourself every week.

Take one or two days out of the week to yourself. Turn off your phone, light a candle, put on a face mask and just relax. Taking time for you is so refreshing and can help you de-stress after a long week.

3. The number of likes/followers you have doesn’t define you.

In this generation, we get so caught up in social media. We allow the number of likes we get define how popular or cool we are. However, that’s just not the case. You’re great just the way you are and social media numbers don’t have to show that.

4. Control your temper.

Out of my 20 years, this was something that was very difficult to learn. It’s too easy to overreact and get mad over little things. Stop, take a deep breath and talk/figure it out (calmly).

5. Find what makes you happy.

Getting into a sport, hobby, or club that you love can make your life so much brighter. Find at least one thing that brings nothing but joy into your life.

6. Keep your room clean.

*Disclaimer: I’m about to go into “mom mode.”* Keep your room clean and organized. Having clutter and a mess can cause more stress. I know it’s super hard to put things where they belong (she says sarcastically) but trust me you’ll feel 10x better if you just keep things neat.

7. Stay true to who you are.

You may not realize it, but in college, it can be super easy to lose yourself. Being surrounded by so many different types of things and people can easily influence how you might act (or how you think you should act). You know who you are so stay true to that.

8. Keep up with your family and friends.

Always keep up with your loved ones. You never know when you might need a helping hand or a shoulder to cry on.

9. Be creative.

Express yourself. Allow your imagination to run wild!

10. Don’t be scared of junk food.

I’m not going to lie. I get caught up in fad diets all the time and end up low key starving myself trying to stick to a certain way of eating. The fact of the matter is, one cookie is not going to kill you. Enjoy the junk!

11. It’s okay to cry it out.

I’m the type of person who will never allow myself to cry. I always tough it out. It’s okay to shed a tear; in fact, it’s healthy to cry. So if you’re stressed about school or upset about a boy or a friend, CRY ABOUT IT. Let it all out. #nojudgement

12. Express your feelings.

A lot of times we keep things in and let it build up inside. I’m guilty of this. Although it seems easier to bottle it all up, expressing how you feel is so much easier. It allows someone else to see how you feel about something they might’ve said or done. A lot of times that person may not have even realized they hurt your feelings. So tell them!

13. Surround yourself with love.

Keep all negative energy away from you. If you have friends that put you down, cut them out. Surround yourself only with the people that care about you and genuinely want you to be the best you.

14. Stay positive.

Be optimistic. I promise that everything that is meant to be, will be.

15. It’s okay to skip the gym.

It’s okay if you’re too tired, sick, stressed, or simply don’t feel like working out. Don’t be so hard on yourself! Sometimes you’ll need a break.

16. Allow yourself to meet new people.

I’m a pretty shy person, but allowing yourself to meet new people can be one of the best things you can do for yourself. You never know who you might meet.

17. Splurge every now and then.

I’m addicted to online shopping and I always find myself waiting until things go on sale or clearance and end up missing out on something I really wanted. Don’t do that all the time. Spoil yourself! If you want something right now, get it.

18. Stop curving so many people.

It’s so easy to say no to people or experiences. Stop saying no so much!

19. Make the first move.

No matter what it may be, do it first. Shoot your shot. Invite a new friend to lunch. Be proactive, not reactive.

20. BeYOUtiful.

This last one I cannot stress enough! You need to learn to love yourself no matter what. No one knows you like you know you and you, my sweet friend, are beautiful!

Sierra is a sophomore majoring in Biomedical Science with a concentration in Pre-Physical Therapy. She wants to go to chiropractic school after she is done with undergrad. She's very focused on her studies, but when she has some free time, she loves to binge watch Netflix shows, hangout with friends, and go to school sporting events to cheer on her favorite team. War Eagle!