This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

It is October which means fall is officially in full swing. This means flannels, hot coco, pumpkin carving and, of course, scary movies.  

So grab a fuzzy blanket and put some more popcorn in your bowl (or, you know, cauldron if that’s what you’re into) cause we have 12 Halloween movies that you have to watch this season.  

Halloweentown

Obviously.  No caption needed. 

Hocus Pocus

This suddenly-popular Halloween movie is what everyone is talking about—and it’s definitely worth the word of mouth (and has tons of cute costume inspiration).  

Nightmare on Elm Street

Everyone’s first horror movie–a.k.a. the reason we’re all afraid to sleep with the lights off (or sleep at all for that matter). 

Double, Double, Toil and Trouble

What’s better than Mary Kate and Ashley? Mary Kate and Ashley and Halloween. Though it is aimed for a ‘younger’ audience, it has a cute story line and, surprisingly, has a decent skin crawling factor.  

Scream

Scary night, isn’t it? With the murders and all, it’s like right out of a horror movie or something. 

The Shining

The horror movie I was not allowed to watch until I was 16 (and for very good reason). This movie will leave you scared of hotels, bathrooms, snow, tire swings…the list goes on and on. 

Carrie

You know, the one where you completely fall in love with and adore the main character only for her to turn around and break your heart? That Carrie. 

Poltergeist

And I’m not talking about the 2015 remake. I’m talking about the original ‘picture-perfect family moves into a new house that just so happens to be located on an old cemetery’ Poltergeist.  

The Conjuring

1, 2 or 3—they’re all equally horrifying. Calling any of these movies ‘throwbacks’ may be pushing it, but if you are into being absolutely terrified out of your mind, you need to watch these ASAP (and if you’re not into being scared, you should still watch them).

The Orphan

Another one of those “what is going on” movies that you have to watch all the way to the end.  

Tower of Terror

You know that ride at Disney where you make your way through a creepy haunted tower?  Yeah, it’s a movie too. And it’s even better than the ride that drops you 170 feet towards the ground. 

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Is it a Halloween movie? Is it a Christmas movie? I don’t think we will ever know but I will for sure be watching this movie on repeat all holiday season.