12 Songs of Christmas (That You Haven’t Heard Before)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

There are two types of people in this world: those who believe that Christmas music should only be played after Thanksgiving, and in particular, only when it gets cold, and then there are the people who don’t care how hot it is (because let’s be honest, here in Alabama it never really snows) and blast Christmas music the second that the last Trick-or-Treater leaves.

While I happily admit to being the latter, many people find themselves annoyed by the sole thought of Christmas music, insisting that it “all sounds the same.” So today, my friend, I am giving you 12 Christmas songs for you to add to your Christmas playlist that are either originals or renditions by various artists that are not Justin Bieber’s “Under the Mistletoe” or Mariah Carey’s infamous “All I Want For Christmas Is You.”

P.S. Yes, such songs do exist. 

1.  “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” – Haley Reinhart & Casey Abrams  

Whoever decided that Casey Abrams and Haley Reinhart should sing together is genius. Whoever decided that Casey Abrams would be the perfect complement to Haley Reinhart’s raspy voice deserves a Christmas bonus. This song might have been sung a zillion times, but this zillion and one version is the best one out there (and makes all of us former American Idol fans very, very proud.)

2.  “Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)” – Lady Antebellum 

Picture yourself surrounded by a sea of red and green as you bustle about other Christmas shopping procrastinators, and this would be the one song playing overhead worth risking your spot in line to fish your phone out of your purse, open the shazam app, and download to your unofficial Christmas wrapping playlist.

3.  “Noel” – Chris Tomlin feat. Lauren Daigle

Known for her powerhouse voice as a contemporary christian music singer, I only need two words to fully describe Lauren Daigle’s “Noel” rendition: *MIC DROP*. 

4.  “Christmas Comin’ Round Again” – Scotty McCreery

Often indescribable, that magical, special air that surrounds Christmas is captured in Scotty McCreery’s heartfelt Christmas original.

5.  “Home This Christmas” – Justin Bieber and The Band Perry

If the duet between this talented, unlikely pair doesn’t strike you curious, take it from me and listen to your next car karaoke sesh: “Christmas Edition.”

6.  “Joy” – MercyMe

While listening to MercyMe’s rendition of a traditional Christmas hymn, you’re bound to find yourself smiling out of pure *joy* nonetheless.

7.  “Cold December Night” – Michael Buble

ABC’s 25 days of Christmas. Hallmark Channel Christmas movies. It’s only fitting that Michael Buble becomes part of your Christmas tradition. For the full “Christmas cheer effect,” break out those fuzzy socks that jingle every other step, and go ahead and  stuff one more marshmallow into your expired hot cocoa.

8.  “Winter Wonderland” – Darius Rucker

The “Wagon Wheel” singer meets Christmas music halfway in this catchy, folksy/country-pop take on a classic.

9.  “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” – Brenda Lee

A goldie oldie Christmas classic as you will, Brenda Lee set the bar high with this sing-along. And is it just me, or when you hear this, you think of Home Alone 2?

10.  “Little Drummer Boy” – Phil Wickham

Ever heard an angel’s voice? Neither have I, but I would not be the least bit surprised for it to sound remarkably similar to Phil Wickham’s. Sidenote: Having seen him in concert, I can attest that the angel-like high notes that he flawlessly hits are 100% pure. (Note: Listen to the entire song and you’ll understand what I mean when I say “angel-like high.”)

11.  “Believe” – Josh Groban 

Song sound familiar but can’t quite pinpoint where you’ve heard it? Think a train, hot chocolate, a sleighbell, and the following scene:

Conductor: “Well, ya comin’?”

Boy: “Where?”

Conductor: “To the North Pole, of course! This is the Polar Express!”

A featured song on the soundtrack for the beloved Christmas movie the Polar Express, Brandon Hagen’s song serves as a reminder that we’re never too old to believe in the magic of Christmas.

12.  “Night Before Christmas” – Brandon Heath

Saving the best for last, Brandon Heath’s original is a must-listen for both its peaceful sound and creative angle to “The Christmas Story”—the real reason we celebrate Christmas.

“Merry Early Christmas” from my Christmas playlist to yours!

Karah is from Florence, Alabama, and is currently a freshman at the "Loveliest Village on the Plains" aka Auburn University studying Broadcast Journalism. Her dream career includes interning and later working for NBC network as a journalist. You might spot her at an Auburn football, baseball, or softball game cheering at the top of her lungs. A mediocre crossfitter, hard-core shopper, and chocolate chip cookie critic, she lives by the motto, "War Eagle to everything!"