10 Reasons Why You Should Attend Gasparilla

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

It’s not everyday that you get lost in a sea of pirates. This past weekend, I experienced Gasparilla with two of my best friends for the first time and there’s no better word to describe the event than legendary. The seven-hour drive from Auburn to Tampa was so worth it. For those of you who don’t know what Gaspy is, don’t fret. I didn’t either until just a few weeks ago. Gasparilla –known as Gaspy for short– is an annual pirate festival held in Tampa, Florida, that celebrates the legend José Gaspar, a mythical Spanish pirate captain who supposedly was based in southwest Florida. After experiencing the event, I highly suggest that you go with a group of friends before college ends. You’ll make endless memories that will last a lifetime. So here’s to Gasparilla!

1. It’s in Tampa

We could all use a mini vacation and time away from campus to get our heads out of the books.

2. It’s historical

The first Gasparilla parade was held in 1904 and continues to make headlines each year. Gasprilla is the third most popular parade in the U.S. as it trails behind the Rose Bowl and the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.

3. It’s free

Who doesn’t love free stuff?! In college it seems as if we’re all ballin’ on a budget.

4. The pirate invasion

You get a live, front row view of the bay being invaded by dozens of pirate ships.

5. The hidden treasure

AKA the hundreds of beads that are thrown at you from the parade floats. If you’re catching beads and draping them around your neck until you’re completely weighed down, you’re doing it right.

6. It’s basically Mardi Gras 

of Tampa, Florida that is.

7. You have a valid excuse to dress like a pirate

It’s not everyday that you can wear fishnet stockings, carry around a sword and wear an eye patch.  

8. Pina colada pineapples

This may be the most delicious $15 investment you will ever make in your whole entire life.   

9. Pirates rule

Who else is willing to surrender thy booty?

10. The weather

It doesn’t get much better than sunny and 75 degree weather in January!

Demetra Zuras is a Public Relations major at Auburn University with an interest in Journalism and Fashion Merchandising. Her future goals consist of moving to the big apple and working for Cosmopolitan. She's a chocoholic, shopping addict and football fanatic. WAR EAGLE!