10 Movies Coming out in 2018 to Get Excited For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

The movies that 2017 brought us were amazing, and 2018 won’t be any different. Action movies, romance movies and a certain Disney sequel we’ve been waiting years for are some of the hits we can’t wait to catch on the big screen. Here are some of the movies to look out for in the next year.

Black Panther (February 16)

This highly anticipated Marvel movie stars Chadwick Boseman as T’Challa, following him after the events of “Captain America: Civil War.” He must return to his home, the African nation of Wakanda, after his father dies to claim his spot as king. However, he didn’t realize that he’d have to fight for the role against enemies from his own country. As Black Panther, he must work to prevent his country from entering a war. 

Love, Simon (March 16)

This movie is based off the young adult book by Becky Albertalli, “Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda.” Simon, a closeted gay teenager, begins emailing a fellow closeted student. Soon, he begins to fall for this mystery person. Besides this, he tries to keep his sexuality from his friends, all while battling high school. 

The Avengers: Infinity War (May 4)

Yet another Marvel movie is coming out this year, and it looks just as great. This is set four years after the events of “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2,” when the Avengers are separated after “Captain America: Civil War.” Thanos comes to Earth, trying to collect the Infinity Stones for himself, which forces the Avengers to reunite. The game changer for this is that this team joins forces with the Guardians of the Galaxy in order to defeat him.

Solo: A Star Wars Story (May 25)

In case you didn’t get enough of a Star Wars fix lately, this is sure to brighten your May. This standalone film focuses on a young Han Solo and his partner Chewbacca on their adventures. It’s set before the events of “A New Hope” and includes the pair meeting Lando Calrissian. While there isn’t much else known about the plot, our beloved characters are sure to wow us. 

Deadpool 2 (June 1)

I certainly hope you aren’t sick of Marvel movies, because this is the third one set to release next year. This sequel to the 2016 “Deadpool” movie is sure to be as raunchy, even if it is “untitled” at the moment. The synopsis given by 20th Century Fox sounds too off the wall, which leads fans to wonder if the true plot is being kept under wraps.

The Incredibles 2 (June 15)

It’ll be 14 years worth of struggling for us millennials while we waited (un)patiently for this sequel. Forget theaters filled with children, they’ll be packed with people our age! The superhero family is trying to have a normal life in this movie, with Bob (Mr. Incredible) taking care of the three children while Helen (Elastigirl) is out fighting the evil. A new villain has arrived, however, so the family will have to team up with Frozone to battle it out. Plus, we finally get to see Jack-Jack’s powers!

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (June 22)

If the movie is even half as good as the teaser trailer, it will be extremely amazing. Set four years after the Jurassic World incident, dinosaurs are roaming Isla Nublar freely until a volcanic eruption threatens their existence. Claire and Owen must work to rescue the dinosaurs and fine Blue, Owen’s raptor pal he helped train. Unfortunately and not surprisingly, this is easier said than done as the pair discover a conspiracy that can threaten them all. 

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (July 20)

This hit musical is coming back with a sequel! in 2008 we were blessed with a movie adaption, and this one will be released within days of the tenth anniversay of that. The sequel shows what the characters from the original have been up to, but also focuses on Meryl Streep’s character when she was a young woman. And of course, it will not fall short on the amazing ABBA songs that will be featured, some even being reprised from the original.

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (November 2)

If watching The Nutcracker is a Christmas tradition for you, prepare to be amazed. Disney is releasing a live action adaption of the beloved story, with Clara and her Nutcracker coming to the big screen. The plot is expected to be the same, and I’m super pumped to know that Misty Copeland (AKA a super beautiful and talented ballerina from the American Ballet) will be in it as well!

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (November 16)

The second movie in the “Fantastic Beasts” series will take off where the first one left off. When the dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald escapes captivity and gains followers, who are mostly unaware of his intentions: to get pure-blood wizards to rule over muggles. Albus Dumbledore gets Newt Scamander to help him try to defeat Grindelwald, with relationships tested in a divided wizarding world.

Cathlene is a senior studying journalism and women's studies at Auburn University. She has been a part of Her Campus Auburn for three years and is in her first year as Campus Correspondent. When she isn't studying and working on Her Campus, she enjoys baking desserts, reading young adult fiction and watching Netflix (mainly Friends, The Office and The Great British Baking Show). Some of her favorite things include Disney, desserts and fluffy animals to cuddle. Cathlene aspires to write for a magazine once she graduates and hopefully move back to Los Angeles.