This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year, as the holiday songs sing to you. It is a wonderful time in terms of music, spirit, weather (if you like snow), movies, and fashion. I don’t know about you, but I certainly enjoy the winter wardrobe choices. I draw inspiration for my wardrobe from certain fictional characters. My holiday gift to you, is telling you about some characters I get some of my ideas from.

I am such a fan of Mary Tyler Moore. She’s an icon of mine, and it’s my goal to emulate her in some way. One way I do this is by looking at her fashion choices. Mary Richards, her character, has wonderful fashion choices and her coats are trendy years after the fact. I’m madly in love with the classic trenchcoat she wears in the opening scenes. It’s an iconic moment in television history, and an iconic moment. Also, her hat is pretty adorable! You work dat red hat, and you throw it up in da air. You may know Mary Tyler Moore from a Weezer song, but her fun characters on television like Laura Petrie on The Dick Van Dyke Show, and Mary Richards on The Mary Tyler Show are fashionable ladies!

If you want to stay on the retro track, there are plenty of good ol’ fashion movies. I remember when I was younger, I’d stay up late watching Holiday Inn. Such class went into those coats, and such class should live outside of the cinema classics and decades. Look at these folks! I don’t remember the movie so I don’t recall why they’re happy. I’m sure it has to do with the fact that they’re so well dressed. Shimmers? Check. Long gowns for cold nights? Check. 

If you wanna take your transcending to other things other than decades, transcend what’s real! Elves are adorable holiday fixtures to grab holiday fashion inspiration from. The coats are adorable, and can be paired with jeans or tights. Elves have a certain holidsy energy about them that can be applied to any outfit. Their outfits are colorful and fun! What’s fashion if it doesn’t have a fun element, especially for this season?

Tights are tiiiiiiiiiiiiight. I’m done with the cheesy jokes (maybe), but I’m not done with giving fashion advice! Daria’s best friend Jane (on the right) pairs her tights with a skirt. Jane is pretty simplistic with her outifts, but her red blazer gives it a nice touch. Skirts are amazing, and paired with boots give it that winter touch. It’s also a way to be resourceful with clothes meant for warmer seasons.

**Also, if you want to wear a soda can, do that. 

Freaks and Geeks is the greatest television show. It’s currently on Netflix, and I recommend it to anybody. Lindsey Weir’s army jacket brings an edge to any wardrobe choice. I also just like reminders of Freaks and Geeks because it only lasted one season. Too sad.

I'm a college freshman with a love for anything pop culture. I like to dance, sleep, and be surrounded by positivity.
Her Campus at ASU, is proud to produce content by powerful young women for women.