This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Maybe it was my high school brain at the time that made me think relationships were not in the cards for me, or maybe it was the way my family always asked on holidays if I had a significant other. After awhile, I would just tease and say, “No, I have plans on dying alone.” But in reality, it bugs me in today’s society that a woman’s worth is still placed in relationships.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy having a relationship, and I think they can be great way to learn more about who you are as a person. They are a strong, beautiful thing, but relationships should never define a person. Relationships are not really about becoming one with your partner, but rather deciding to go on the same journey together. You will always be you, and your partner will still remain themselves. There seems to be a lot of pressure in our society for having a relationship and that you need to be in one, but this is not true.

The truth is that you on your own are your own complete person. You do not need a relationship to be complete because you already were. As women we are already strong, beautiful, and unique on our own.

Hello, I am currently a student at Arizona State University. Working towards a major in Political Science and I'm minoring in American Indian Studies and Communciation. I love the outdoors, sports, shopping, and hanging out with friends and family. Instagram- shaniya_decker
Kathleen Leslie is a freshman at Arizona State University, studying political science and communications. She was born in August, (a typical Leo), in Chicago, Illinois but has since moved all over the world. Though, she considers Australia and Orange County, California, her home. Kathleen is a part of the 'I Am That Girl' club on ASU's campus and in addition, works as a communications aide for ASU. In her free time, she likes to shop, sail and hang out with friends, (hoping it always involves something with food). Kathleen Leslie is also the current campus correspondent for Her Campus ASU.