Why doing something out of your comfort zone is the best decision you’ll ever make

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Nothing great ever came from someone’s comfort zone.

Be it an experience, a hobby, an emotion, or a relationship. In order to get something you’ve never had you have to do something you’ve never done. Which requires you to step out of that safety net and leap into something uncomfortable.

I used to live in the comfort zone. I did what I was told, never broke the rules and never tried anything new. Mostly because disappointing my parents terrified me, and it still does. At some point in my adolescence I met a person who did anything they wanted. They definitely broke the rules and they were my polar opposite.

For the first time in my life I questioned the rules and bent them, I started becoming the teenager I never allowed myself to be, because I was too afraid. I felt alive for the first time in a long time. I had all the confidence in the world; even after this person that flipped my world upside down was out of my life. They left me better off than how they found me.

As I got older I carried that spontaneity with me, until I met someone else who squashed it. After that person was out of my life I was left in a worse place than ever before.

Slowly, I got to where I am now, and I’m glad that I was given those hard experiences because I never would’ve moved across the country for school, I never would’ve met the amazing people I have met here and I would definitely never truly be in love with myself.

That “surprise” was the best gift I was ever given. I got my freedom back and was able to finally detach myself from the suffocation that is a comfort zone. Every unforgettable experience, good and bad, came from me doing something out of my comfort zone; and all of those experiences have taught me something about myself and the world.

So my advice to anyone is to do something uncomfortable or “crazy” once in a while. (Given that it is within the legality of the law). You might see that you’ll change, and you might really love that.

I love all things travel, fashion, beauty, music and pop culture.
I am a sophomore pursuing a degree in Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University