“When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?” Album Review Part 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

In part two of my album review of “When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?”, I break down the section containing the songs “you should see me in a crown,” “all good girls go to hell,” and “wish you were gay”. My favorite song in this section is “wish you were gay” because Eilish understands how it sucks when a guy doesn’t like you back and I can sympathize with how she felt when her crush crushed her heart. Nonetheless, “you should see me in a crown” and “all good girls go to hell” both are interesting and carry a bad girl vibe that I adore. Continue reading for a full breakdown of each of these songs in this section of my album review for “When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?”

you should see me in a crown

In this video, Eilish toys with the idea of ruling the world. She does so with the lyric “wait till the world is mine” and the lyric “Fell for these ocean eyes/ You should see me in a crown/ Watch me make ‘em bow”

In a sense, she currently is ruling the Billboard charts and rocking the music industry. She recently announced her tour and her shows are already sold out because so many fans love her and want to see her perform live.
In both the videos for this song (the vertical video and the animated video), it gets very unsettling with spiders and visuals. On April 17th, she released the animated video by Takashi Murakami. If you’d like to give the animated music video a look, here’s the link to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coLerbRvgsQ

Fun fact: What most might not know is that this song was inspired by the show Sherlock. According to Radio.com, episode 3 of season 2 is when Professor James Moriarty utters the line “In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey, you should see me in a crown.”

Eilish says in that same article that she and her brother Finneas “were obsessed with the show forever and we just thought that line was dope, and we were just like ‘f*** it. Let’s make it into a song.’ ”

And so that is the inspiration of how the song came to be.

all good girls go to hell

This past April, Eilish made her Coachella debut when she performed a set of her songs from her latest album “When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?” Fans went wild for her performances and were often caught singing the lyrics along to her songs.
Eilish forgot the lyrics to her own song “all good girls go to hell”, but she didn’t let it stop her. Instead she owned up to her mistake and jokingly asked over her shoulder, “What the fuck are the words though?” The crowd supported her by singing the lyrics to help her get back on track.

I really liked how Eilish handled that situation because she handled it in the most human way possible and accepted that she doesn’t have to be perfect.

wish you were gay

This song on the album is about Eilish liking a guy but wishing he was gay so that there would be a genuine reason why he didn’t like her back. If you’d like to read my in-depth analysis of this song, feel free to check out my past Her Campus ASU article. https://www.hercampus.com/school/asu/there-s-more-billie-eilish-s-latest-single-wish-you-were-gay-meets-ear

Angel Jimenez studies Journalism at Arizona State University with a minor in Studio Art. She is passionate about storytelling and pays great attention to her work. Angel's other hobbies include creating art. In her free time, she loves to drink a cup of coffee or hot chocolate with her friends.