What University Has Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Change is one of the most difficult things that happen in life. I graduated with my Associates in Arts from Phoenix College in May after six years of community college. I was an honors student and classes were not easy, but not hard either. I had six years of comfort, friends, and a normal routine. I felt like I was serving a purpose when I was in community college. When I got into the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism at Arizona State University, everything changed.

For the first time in my college career, I was taking upper-level classes in the span of seven weeks. I was expecting that the workload was going to be hard and I was going to have to study harder than ever. What I didn’t expect was how the fast pace of the classes took a toll on me as a student and as an individual. For the first time, my personal life dramatically affected my school life. As a full-time student, school is essentially my job. I didn’t handle anything well. I missed the passing mark for my Grammar 101 class by .6% and I had passed all of my classes up until that point in my academic career. I was devastated that I would have to take this class again and it would determine if I stayed in my dream school or not. However, this was my wake-up call and I took it as a sign.

After learning my lesson in the first seven weeks of my fall semester, I was able to better allocate my time between my course work and my personal life. I am proud to say that I have a passing grade going into my final this time. Even if I tank my final (which I have the utmost confidence that I will pass), I will still pass the class!

Along the way, something that I have kept in mind is that your final does not determine your worth as a person. Your grades do not reflect who you are deep down. At the end of the day, they are just letters on a piece of paper. With that in mind, I will approach finals week with a positive mentality and then enjoy my semester break with my family and you should too!

She is a student at Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communications. She is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Digital Audiences. So, you can find her researching the latest trends, following a good hot topics story or jamming out to the latest pop song on Spotify so she knows what's hot and what's not. Her style could be considered androgynous but classy at the same time. Some of her hobbies include graphic design and behind the scenes video production. In her free time, you can find her reading a good book while cuddling with her cat or taking pictures with her camera while walking around the city.