Style > Beauty

What the Movie Dumplin’ Taught Me About the Importance of Inner Confidence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Confidence is something I have always struggled to attain but continuously strive to have. When I was little I was a happy and confident little jellybean, but as I’ve grown older, I have found  I compare myself to others much too often and dislike certain aspects of my appearance.

This past year when Netflix released Dumplin I quickly fell in love with the film, because it showcased how gaining confidence changes your perspective and can impact your life in a positive manner. Once you have confidence, you aren’t nervous or afraid to go after the things you want in your life.

Can we just talk about Aunt Lucy in Dumplin? From very early on in the film she is this amazing confident style-savvy woman with a glowing smile that Willowdean looks up to.

We get a glimpse of Aunt Lucy advising Willowdean when she was a little girl. In one of the first scenes in the movie, after the boys had teased Willowdean for looking huge and going as far as to say she’s a “Pig”. Aunt Lucy stepped in to say  “Pay them no mind Willowdean the world is filled with people who are going to try to tell you who you are but that’s for you to decide, you hear me.”

Aunt Lucy then goes on to reference the infamous quote, “It’s hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world” sung by  Dolly Parton in her single “Tennessee Homesick Blues.”

Rhinestones by definition are “an imitation diamond used in costume jewelry” So Dolly’s lyrics can be interpreted as it’s hard to be real in a world that’s so artificial.

Over the years Dolly herself has spoken up about body image issues.

Regardless of her own body image insecurities, Dolly has always found ways to be herself and own her appearance and voice.

In the film when Willowdean goes to the Hideaway for Dolly Night backstage one of the drag queens who was close with Lucy tells her,  

“I bet you already know what she would say we both do, ‘go big or go home, but either way do it in a red pair of  shoes.’ In all fairness it took Lucy a while to get there just like it took the rest of us, you know that dolly saying ‘Figure out who you are and do it one purpose.’ ”

Dumplin and Dolly Parton have taught me that if you have confidence, you have everything you need to make anything possible.

With my new found confidence I have been able to overcome my insecurities. They still linger in the back of my mind and they always will the only difference is that I no longer let them hold any significance. I’ve stopped letting my insecurities dictate how I feel about myself.

Before I used to stop myself from going after opportunities because I didn’t feel as though I fit the part or looked the part. A lot of my hesitation stemmed from my lack of confidence and body image insecurities.

My new found confidence has changed my life because. I am not afraid to go for the things in my life that I want. Whether it be the guy, the longstanding dream, a goal or the opportunity I’ve always wanted to take.

So ladies next time you aren’t feeling confident look in the mirror and remember that you are beautiful and like Dolly Parton once said, “Figure out who you are and do it on purpose.”

Angel Jimenez studies Journalism at Arizona State University with a minor in Studio Art. She is passionate about storytelling and pays great attention to her work. Angel's other hobbies include creating art. In her free time, she loves to drink a cup of coffee or hot chocolate with her friends.