What Having a Twin is Like

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

I have lived with my sister, Lindsey, right from when I was born. This automatically creates a bond that is special and can never be replaced. Everyone needs a person who can accept them as they are, I have that person. She’s my twin. Also, I know she’ll always be there, even if I yell, fight or get angry, and we will still stay together, no matter what. After all, we were born together. Many people have siblings, and they claim that their bond is the same. I have trouble believing this though, because my twin and I have never had the age barrier between us. I mean, you can’t vent to your 9-year-old about how frustraiting college is because they don’t get it. We do have some of the same experience as people with siblings closer to their age, but we also get asked some pretty odd questions. So below I’ve outline some basic sibling situations and the questions that Lindsey and I get asked. 

When you see them wearing your clothes:

Lindsey and I have always been pretty close to the same size, but I am a little bigger. She likes stealing my sweaters because they’re bigger on her, I also have gotten texts at random times of the day from her telling me that she is currently trying on all my clothes.

The same person winning certain games:

This one is a little more difficult to explain. Because we’ve been playing most of the same board games together for our entire lives, both of us have games we’re the best at and will always win. I always beat Lindsey at Zigity, and she always beats me at Apples to Apples, but that’s only because she knows I’ll always pick the funniest ones.

The get out of my room fight:

This is actually a continuation of a previous fight, and happens when the offender thinks all is well and they can just flop on your bed. WELL THEY CAN’T.

When one of you goes to a sleepover:

We have naturally always had the same friend groups, but there were rare occasions where one of us would be invited to a someones house that the other wasn’t friends with. Those nights sucked.

Fights get personal real fast:

First of all, we’re sisters. Second, we’re the same age. Third, we each have tons of dirt on each other that we don’t heasitate to bring up. 

No one can date them:

You’re not worthy, no one knows her like I do. You’ll try to, but you’ll never come close to me. So just give up, because I will hate you forever.

No one can insult them:

Um excuse you, that’s my job. Go away.

Wanna go get food?

A favorite tradition of mine is always going to get pints of ice cream before watching movies. Our favorite thing to do together is eat.

Hey, you look really cute in that!

Naturally, we know what looks best on eachother. And my sister is a cutie all the time anyway so when she dresses up, holy holy look out.

Did you do the homework for class?

We’ve always been in the same classes, so now we have double the brains to remember about the homework. It was mostly Lindsey who would forget though, sorry sis.

When you have both been apart for a long time (ok a week) and you’re both back home:

When you’ve been with each other for ever second of your life, long stretches of time without seeing them is torture. Well, for me it is. College is sucking my soul.

Bonus Lindsey reaction:

Are you identical?

Wait, are you serious? 

Can you read each other’s minds?

Oh. My. God. No, no one can do that. Stop.  

So who’s older?

I’ll refer you to a dictionary later, but she is. By one minute, yes I’m the baby, aren’t I cute?

Who Am I? I am a woman that God made, sustains, and loves. I am a woman stumbling in the darkness of this world, blinded by my anxiety and fear. I am tripping over flat ground and running into walls society has built for me because I am an introvert who needs to come out of the shell I feel perfectly fine in. I am a college student alone in a state I am unfamiliar with, thrown into this strange world of responsibility without my parents to guide me. I am a child, wide eyed and innocent, constantly asking the same questions over and over because my mind doesn't understand. I am Veronica, a woman in love with her God and the red rocks of the deserts and the mountain air he created.
Her Campus at ASU, is proud to produce content by powerful young women for women.