Wellness > Sex + Relationships

What to do for Your Valentine, Based on Their Enneagram

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

The enneagram personality test has become more and more popular within the last couple of years. The idea that a simple test can tell you so much about yourself and others is what makes it so appealing. According to the enneagram test, there are nine different types of personalities.

This Valentine’s Day, make sure you take the enneagram test with your significant other. Here are some gift and date ideas for each of the enneagram personality types:

The Reformer

Surprises and disorganization often stress 1’s out,  s, avoid flash mobs and useless knick-knacks this year. Gift cards are sometimes considered an “easy” gift that was not given much thought, but 1’s love them! It gives them the opportunity to pick things they enjoy and get necessities. Make sure you pay attention to the stores they like to shop at!

A good date idea for 1’s this February is a competitive evening of bowling. Being able to relax and unwind after a long day with your 1 will make them feel comfortable and serene around  you, but you better make sure you let them win. They are not nicknamed “the perfectionists” for nothing.

The Helper

Giving gifts is a 2’s special talent! But receiving gifts can be anxiety inducing for some. Writing your significant other a good old fashioned love letter is an amazing way to show them how much you care about them. 2’s love to hear how you feel about them and rely a lot on affirmations. Look up “How to Start a Love Letter” if you are having trouble getting inspired. 

2’s are super easy as far as dates go. They are happy with a movie night at home, cuddled up under blankets while  surrounded by their favorite snacks. Quality time is something important to 2’s (emphasis on the “quality”) So, make sure you are focusing on them and only them on Valentine’s Day.

The Achiever

3’s absolutely love receiving gifts. They feel special knowing that someone paid attention to them and got them something personal. They are also known as “The Achievers.” Get these signs something that will help them achieve their goals. If they are trying to get healthier by going to the gym, get them some new workout shoes. If they want to learn to play the piano, buy them a keyboard. Being able to help your partner achieve their goals is rewarding for them but also for you!

Cook a homemade meal together with your 3 this Valentine’s Day. This gives them the satisfaction of accomplishing a goal and shows them that you like to cater to them. Make a recipe from scratch. Set your dinner table up with a candle and rose petals. Make it romantic!

The Individualist

Personalized gifts are what a 4 loves the most. Any gift that is unique to them will make your 4 happy! Anything handmade including jewelry, poetry, or a playlist are all great gift ideas for 4’s. The more sentimental the gift, the better. 

Go to a play or fine arts museum with your 4 this holiday. They appreciate art and supporting artists. Pick out some fancy outfits and get ready together. Having a meaningful and deep conversation after the event will make sure your 4 knows how interested you are in them. 

The Investigator

5’s are known for their practicality. They enjoy gifts that they will use in day-to-day life. Although it might be boring to you, ask them what gift they want and get exactly that. Make sure they know that their needs matter! Some examples of practical gifts include blankets, food, toiletries, and electronics. 

Go to an escape room with your 5. They love problem solving and thinking through complex problems. They will love to spend time with you while also getting to show off their skills. They will be proud of themselves and it will give them a big confidence boost! 

The Loyalist

6’s are sometimes hard to decipher. Their gift and date usually go together. Often, they prefer experiences over “gifts”. Order some concert tickets for your honey. They will adore the feelings and thoughts behind the experience. Make them go on a “scavenger hunt” for their concert tickets. Tape them to their mirror in the morning before they get ready for work. Make it fun!

The Enthusiast

Chances are that your 7 loves to travel. A good gift for your 7 this Valentine’s Day would be new luggage. If you really want to splurge, put some plane tickets for a weekend trip in their new suitcase. Having a shared experience with their significant other is crucial to them feeling appreciated and loved..

Bring your 7 to a new coffee shop or restaurant in town for a valentine’s date. The new experience would be exciting to them and you get to spend quality time together. Make sure that the shop or restaurant is unique and quirky.

The Challenger

8’s would much rather give a gift than receive. This can make them hard to buy for. Get them a T-shirt or coffee mug that has a message they believe in inscribed on it. They are bold and strong and want the rest of the world to know. 

Your 8 is probably pretty competitive. Have a board game night with each other. They will appreciate the competition while spending some special time with you. Come up with a reward for whoever wins each game. 

The Peacemaker

Peaceful and relaxing gifts are what a 9 needs. A puzzle or book could be exactly what they need to have some alone time and to ground themselves. If your significant other is a 9, you probably already know this, but they need their alone time. 

Go on a scenic hike with your 9. This gives you the opportunity to be present with each other, but also allows your honey to be independent and quiet if they need to be. Bring a picnic blanket with you and watch the sunset together.  

Anikka Jeffries is a senior social work major at Arizona State University. She is currently interning with Hospice at Home. Her dream is to work with the elderly in some capacity when she graduates. In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, and playing with her 4 dogs.