Vintage Movies to Get Creeped Out By

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

My obsession for everything vintage transcends music, movies, culture, and ultimately, holidays. I will find a way to incorporate my love for everything in the past to anything in the present (or future). For this Halloween, I compiled a list of my favorite vintage thrills. Some movies fall under the traditional horror film genre, and some just have creepy vibes. Either way, this Halloween, mix up your inevitble horror film marathon with these classic flicks.

Freaks (1932)

This 1932 film has a message. It’s up to you to find out the message, because this is A SPOILER FREE ZONE. The film’s “freaks” are actually the normal ones, but the film is the perfect kickoff to a thrilling movie weekend.

Watch if: You want to learn a lesson this Halloween season, and indulge some throwback vibes. Prepare for the feels.

The Birds (1963)

The Birds is my favorite Hitchcock film. I was truly scared when watching it, and I no longer will look at a bunch of flying feathered creatures the same way again. The film is creepy, and Tippi Hendren is a joy to watch. This film is the epitome of being subtle and generally getting more intense.

Watch if: You like classic movies, and don’t have a pet bird.

Night of the Living Dead (1968)

One of the original films in the zombie genre, I almost didn’t watch this movie. My mom forced me to watch it on Netflix, and I’m glad I did. I was invested in all of the characters’ fates and the zombies had this subtle creepy element to it. Also, you gotta give Shaun of the Dead a watch, too. Make sure to count the allusions to the the 1968 classic!

Watch if: You are prepared to be on the edge of your seat and like to yell at characters to follow your advice.

Little Shop of Horrors (1960)

Little Shop of Horrors is best known as the Broadway musical, but it’s based on a horror film. The horror film has a tad (see: A LOT) more sinister themes. Same story, Audrey, plant, bad dentist. Different mood. So worth it. Plants and birds, they’re both out to get you. Also, look out for a young Jack Nicholson.

Watch if: Origin stories are your thing, and you don’t really care about happy endings.

Rosemary’s Baby (1968)

Mia Farrow is one of my favorite people. She’s a great actress and person. I first saw her in Rosemary’s Baby. This Polanski classic makes you angry and afraid at the same time. There is so much more to say, but one must fully watch this movie to understand the creep factor.

Watch if: You can handle a heavy plot and seeing Ms. Farrow in distress. Also, this is one of the more “subtle” horror films.

Carnival of Souls (1962)

This film is a cult classic. While it has its cheese factor, there are still elements in this movie that make you think. I watched this during a B-movie (a low budget movie ) night with my family, and enjoyed it, thoroughly. It may not be the scariest of movies, but it’s a great watch.

Watch if: You like B-movies and plot twists!

The Bad Seed (1956)

Creepy kids. That’s all. Patty McCormack plays the original creepy kid named Rhoda in this Oscar nominated film. This evil little brat makes me angry. I still have nightmares about you, Rhoda. Don’t let her little blonde braids fool you. This is one cray child.

Watch if: You want a young child to raise your fear levels to the highest of highs.

I'm a college freshman with a love for anything pop culture. I like to dance, sleep, and be surrounded by positivity.
Her Campus at ASU, is proud to produce content by powerful young women for women.