Top 5 Songs That’ll Make You Feel Alive & In Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

I’ve been in my fair share of relationships and what not. I’ll let you in on a little secret: I love tying music to moments, so when I play a  song back it makes me think of them.

I began dating in middle school where we would hug after school and then switched to spending late nights on dates before school the next day. I’ve even had my fair share of internet relationships (that’s beside the point though). What I’m getting at is the music that people share with each other  defines  the relationship. There’s always a song or multiple songs that every couple shares. Here are some of mine that I have found make me fall in love with being in love:

“You and I” by Barnes Courtney

An indie rock song that is sure to make you feel like Bonnie and Clyde while only committing crimes of heart theft is meant to be blasted with your windows down. I personally love when he says, “I’ll be your wild red. You’ll be my baby blue” It just makes me feel like my love is being reciprocated and we’re both crazy for each other. 

“Smithereens” by Twenty One Pilots

I know this band has been made out to be deemed “new-age emo,” but they’re definitely evolving into some love-type of-beat. Lead singer, Tyler, married Jenna Black and clearly wrote this song in order to show how he would fight anyone in order to protect her. Nothing feels like love like knowing someone is there to protect you no matter what, especially to show just how much they love you. 

“Elise” by The Greeting Committee

Let’s slow it down a touch by bringing in this acoustic piece either played on ukulele or guitar – I’m not sure yet. However, pointing out the small things that you notice within a person that  make you fall in love with them is something that will always make me feel more than warm inside. 

“Puppy Love” by Bülow ft. Jimi Somewhere

That feeling of butterflies when  you can’t control yourself. Next thing you know, you’re dancing with a smile wider than the Pacific Ocean across your face and that’s what love is really about. You’ve found the person that you know will make an impact on your life, regardless for better or for worse. Being young and dumb is a feeling I will never forget from my youth. 

“10,000 Hours” by Dan + Shay ft. Justin Bieber

Nothing like a slow country song, tea brewing, and your favorite person in the same space as you that makes the moment just a little bit sweeter. A mix of JB’s smooth voice, this is for sure THE song to tie all love feelings together.    

I have to admit, it was a little tough to only choose five as well. I find myself making so many playlists for every single emotion that I have felt, especially when it comes to tying music to experiences, emotions or places. I hope you and yours enjoy a few of my favorite songs. Maybe these will inspire you to make your own playlist and memories.

JP (they/them/theirs) is a graduate student at DePaul who enjoys reading books, playing guitar, and telling bad jokes. When they're not behind a book or getting a tan from their computer screen, catch them planning their next tattoo. Check their 'gram: @hanson.jp