Three Stereotypical Male Hobbies that are for Everyone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Remember that one night you stayed in and didn’t know what to do with yourself? Yeah, the one where you didn’t want to go out because you didn’t want to deal with people. We’ve all had one of those nights and are left thinking it would be great to have a hobby. Here are three hobbies that are stereotypically for  men but everyone, regardless of gender identity,  can do them .

Video Games 

Video games are typically associated with men when it comes to it being a hobby. When you watch movies and TV shows with guys in it you  usually see their nights filled with beer and video games. This is where the stereotype of video games being only for men can be found. However, did you know that women can play games just as well as men? Even the video games that are targeted more towards a male audience can still be played by women. Zelda Breath of the Wild is a one player game that is about a knight going to get his princess back. This game is targeted more towards a male audience because of the fighting, weapons and monsters, but I have been playing this game for months and I don’t see how this game is “just for men.” I mean, sure it’s not Mario Kart or something cute and colorful. but it’s still tons of fun. Although movies  depict those who play video games as men only, women are just as bad ass at playing! . So don’t let entertainment classify you as ineligible to battle it out with the monsters. You are just as qualified to go get Princess Zelda as anyone else.  

Sports

This may seem like the most common segregated hobby,  as there are separate teams for mens and womens sports.. Segregation in sports has been an uphill battle since the 70s when  women were demanding equality. Do you recall being out on the playground and having to fight to be a piece of the action when you were little? Well, it’s 2020 and we are still fighting to be part of the game. Next time you want to play some basketball just go for it. If you want to play catch with the guys throw the ball and show them what you got. Men don’t own sports. 

Comics and Superheroes  

ComicCon comes around every year and cosplay shines. Marvel and DC have a plethora of superheroes and yes, even some women. We have Jessica Jones, Supergirl, Wonder Woman, Black Widow and Batwoman. just to name a few. Wonder Woman was one of the most successful movies of the year when it came out in 2017. Gal Gadot did the original Wonder Woman justice when she portrayed the superhero, as she did it while she was pregnant! But even though we have these epic superheroes for women, we shall not forget that Iron Man had his leading woman Pepper. Black Panther had his sister Shuri and his Dora Milaje (translates to  “the adored ones”) which was an all-female army of Wakanda. So, don’t let men tell you that comics are just for them. Remind them that even the best of superheroes have a woman on their team too. 

These are stereotypically hobbies for men, but women can take interest and engage in such hobbies too. Not all comics and superheroes have male  characters.. Women are not just cheerleaders in a sport and  Barbie video games are simply not that interesting to some women or kids for that matter. Sometimes all a girl wants to do is have fun. Why limit them to what they can have fun doing?

She is a student at Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communications. She is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Digital Audiences. So, you can find her researching the latest trends, following a good hot topics story or jamming out to the latest pop song on Spotify so she knows what's hot and what's not. Her style could be considered androgynous but classy at the same time. Some of her hobbies include graphic design and behind the scenes video production. In her free time, you can find her reading a good book while cuddling with her cat or taking pictures with her camera while walking around the city.