(L-r) ROSS BUTLER as Super Hero Eugene, ADAM BRODY as Super Hero Freddy, GRACE CAROLINE CURREY as Super Hero Mary, ZACHARY LEVI as Shazam, MEAGAN GOOD as Super Hero Darla and D.J. COTRONA as Super Hero Pedro in New Line Cinema’s action adventure “SHAZAM!
Courtesy of Warner Bros. Pictures

“Shazam! Fury of the Gods” and mythology are hand-in-hand, count me in!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

I am personally intrigued by superhero movies, but something that turns me away is the violence. But after being introduced to the “Shazam!” movies, I felt like a mix of Greek gods, the DC Comics world, and teenagers struggling to fit in and find themselves was a story that I could follow. Having the chance to be part of a conversation with the titular character about this role allowed me to finally ask my burning question about the Greek gods and mythology scattered throughout this film. 

Zachary Levi stars as Billy Batson’s superhero alter ego, Shazam!, and the comical, satirical, and honest personality that Levi brings to this role is nothing short of enticing. Batson is a 17-year-old high school student who is concerned about aging out of the foster care system while simultaneously saving the world from a trio of ancient gods who storm back to earth.

Shazam is composed of the gods Solomon, Hades, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles, and Mercury. Adding to the mythological base of DC Comics, this is nothing short of a new approach to superheroes and their powers. By including comedy into this role, Levi seals the deal with the story by using his young personality and knack for stunts to prove that he can play any role.  

“Stories are easier to tell when they’re relatable, right?” Levi says. “And if you can grab somebody at any kind of touchstone, you’re bringing them into the story. And Greek mythology is one of those things that we kind of already know a little bit. And when I was going through school, you would know little bits of information about Greek mythology, and it pops up at any point in time. And it brings people in. That is the best part about Shazam and its ties to Greek gods.” 

Learning about Greek gods and mythology have been central parts of my childhood, and including this attention to detail throughout the film brought me comfort knowing I was seeing my childhood coming to life right before my eyes. The change of characters from their teenage selves into their superhero personas made me sit on the edge of my seat because this inspired me to return to the dreams I’ve had about saving the world. I could have that fantasy alongside my best friends and with amazing inspiration as well.

Without a definite start date to Greek gods and mythology, this movie creates its own spot on the timeline due to its revolutionary nature of its on-screen character portrayal and uniqueness. Just like each Greek god having unique traits and powers, just like the “Shazam!” squad, there is a new approach to modern Greek mythology and superheroes. 

Sharing stories of the personal lives of the characters is intimate for viewers. They see the struggles, the celebrations, and the changes that each character is enduring. While these characters are fictional, the understanding and relatability is key in the eyes of the filmmakers. 

“If I can bring an audience member into the story, even if it’s through one of those touchstones, then I know I [have] done something right,” Levi says.

Portraying an age group that is different from your own is a challenge within itself, but Levi takes the cake for portraying a high school student with plenty of new territories and challenges presented while maintaining his superhero facade. Although these personalities and lifestyles are something that are experienced around the teenage population, not everyone is also a superhero!

“Shazam! Fury of the Gods” premieres on March 17 in theaters. Don’t miss out! 

JP (they/them/theirs) is a graduate student at DePaul who enjoys reading books, playing guitar, and telling bad jokes. When they're not behind a book or getting a tan from their computer screen, catch them planning their next tattoo. Check their 'gram: @hanson.jp